Thursday, February 12, 2009

shots

Happy 2 months to Abigail!

Today we had our 2 month check up with the pediatrician.  This is the visit where she gets her first round of many vaccines.  It's notoriously hard for the mom to watch - and not that pleasant for baby either.

We got to the doctor's office right about the time Abby is usually 30 mins into her morning nap.  Poor thing was so sleepy -

Photobucket

We finally got called back and Dr. Downey went about the normal checkup.  Abby weighed in at 9lbs and 10 oz.  The doc said that is perfectly normal and following her growth chart just right (so, yay for weight gain).  She's still a little peanut though.  I'm just dying for her to get big enough to wear these jeans I bought her before she was born.  They're 0-3 months, but they just swallow her up still.  We're still in newborn sizes for clothes and diapers.  I guess this is good in that we're getting to really use all those newborn clothes we got.  It'll be weird when she finally outgrows something I think.  

Anyway.  The doctor said that Abby's physical looked great.  She commented several times that Abby was the "wiggliest" baby she's seen in a long time.  I think she was just excited to be in naught but her diaper under some bright lights, but the doc made us promise to go ahead and start childproofing the apartment anyway.  

Photobucket

Then came the vaccines.  

Poor baby.  The rotovirus one was oral, and Abby likes anything that resembles food, so that went well.  Then the doc gave the first shot in her left leg followed by one in the right.  As you can see, Abby had something to say about this -

Photobucket

Is that not the most pitiful picture ever?

Then I heard the doc say "well, my my, you're bleeding quite a bit"  Umm- not exactly my favorite words to hear from her.  A few alcohol wipes and band-aids later, all was cleaned up.  Her left leg was the gusher - her right one didn't bleed at all.  Weird.  Apparently Abby just keeps all her blood on the left side.  

Photobucket

And then we were all done.  Yay!  And before you wonder what kind of mean awful cruel mother I am taking pictures while my baby is screaming - 1) Kyle had the calming and soothing under control and 2) If I weren't doing something to keep busy then I would have had the same face as Abby.  Shots aren't fun, but they're necessary.  Abby did great and is currently sleeping off the whole thing that she'll never remember.

What a champ!  :)
Photobucket

5 comments:

Heather said...

poor baby!! at least max got to be held during his shots. it's so hard to watch isn't it?

Anonymous said...

I hated watching you get shots, vaccinations, too. Now do you forgive me for that?

Granny in Love

Anonymous said...

Welcome to motherhood!!

Lauren McKnight said...

Aw that must have been so hard for you. BTW, was that blood on the table. My lord...I didn't know they made kiddos bleed that much! This is good mommy training for me!

jennybee said...

OK...reading in your sidebar...Wolf Blitzer? Seriously? I just assumed she'd have a thing for AC.

background

counter