Monday, February 9, 2009

new leaf

I could probably build a tree with all the new leaves I've started since New Years.  But, that doesn't stop me - Today I turned over another one....or maybe it's the same one from earlier.  Either way, I turned it. 

It started with me exercising this morning.  I can't take Abby to the gym with me, so I finally got myself to work out in our little bitty living room.  I even recorded some exercise programs on the tivo in case I get around to them.  I did basic basic things - pushups, crunches and such.  Plus I did a few tkd forms for good measure and some kicks to work on my lost strength.  It felt good. 

Secondly, my friend Bethany and some others have inspired me to try this coupon thing.  I've never been a clipper.  I mean, I look for things on sale in the store and buy store brand things and all, but I've never actually tried to keep up with coupons.  Well, times are tight, and who couldn't use a few extra savings? I spent Abby's morning nap researching local deals and making a list.  When she woke up, we got ourselves together and went shopping. 

I think this may be the first time I've taken Abby out by myself - at least for such a long trip.  We drove to CVS, then we drove to Wal-Greens and walked around that area of town for almost 2 hours browsing at other stores (thank goodness she loves her sling - it made things so much easier!) We hit up the grocery store on the way back.  Abby was so funny in the grocery store - she was just cooing and smiling at things the whole time.  It cracked me up.  After that, we went and gave Kyle a ride from work to class (Mondays are his 12 hours days) and then we came home.

Now, Bethany, is seriously like the queen of savings and I wasn't able to get the stores to pay me money like she does yet.  But, I spent $104 between all the stores and saved $50.  I was proud of that!  I was also happy that I got some good deals on some healthy meals and items that we need and would have bought anyway.  Which brings me to my 3rd leaf -

It time to get serious about eating healthier.  I'm not too bad as is, but I snack too much on things that are no good for me (m&ms, anyone?) and I have a poor concept of portion control.  Well, I know I'll slip , but so far today, I've done really great.  Just gotta take one meal at a time.  

So, today was a good day.  It was good work out and to get out of the apartment and it's good to know that I can manage a baby and a carload of groceries out and about (getting all that up to the 14th floor from the parking garage is trickier than you might think).  Hopefully tomorrow will be equally productive.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting started working out...thats awesome!! I didnt know you lived 14 levels up, wow, that is high!! I am not sure how I would do that with a baby either. Man. Good for you though!

jennybee said...

I have fun clipping and organizing coupons on Sundays from the paper's circulars and do it fairly regularly, but I'm bad about forgetting to use them. It's one of the things I'm working on. Walgreens' coupons are the best, plus they always have them in the store if you forget yours.

Planning can make a huge difference, though.

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

I *love* clipping coupons! we don't really buy any prepared foods except soup and Fiber One bars, but you can save TONS of money on stuff like toothpaste and dish soap. It is seriously addictive to see how much money you can save.

I'm surprised Abs stays awake like that for you, Gracie passes out the instant she's in the car or her carseat/stroller. your outing sounds like so much fun!

background

counter