Friday, August 28, 2009

catch up

It's been a busy week.  Let's see, where to start?

I guess first thing is that I think Abby is finally starting to readjust back to east coast time - thank goodness.  It's been much harder adjusting back than it was adjusting on the trip.  The first night she woke up several times all night, the next night she cried/screamed for 3 hours - yes 3.  She. is. persistent.  The next night, however, she only cried for one hour, and it was more whiney, less screaming.  Last night she cried for 30 mins.  AND she woke up on time and just went down for her first nap with no fight at all.  So - crossing my fingers that soon I have my easy sleeper back.  :)  

Of course, in addition to the time changes, we've also started putting her to bed without her swaddle.  It's bittersweet.  She was busting out of it every night anyway, so it was really just a comfort thing for us and a cue for her - and we knew we wanted to transition out of it soon.  Poor thing, though.  Now, when I give her her bedtime bottle, when she finishes it and starts to fall asleep, she always takes one hand and grabs a fist full of my shirt or my necklace - as if to say "don't you let me go"  (sigh)  Of course when I do put her down in the crib, she cries.  Hopefully, that part will get better soon too. 

In other Abby news - we took her to the doctor the other day because she was so out of sorts and not her usual bubbly self.  We figured it was mostly to do with the time stuff again, but we wanted to rule out any actual illness.  She was fine.  Cranky and emotional and clingy and lethargic - but fine.  We did find out that she weighs 17 lbs now. :)  

She's also re-discovered her wave.  She waves at everybody now.  She waves at her reflection.  She waves at Kyle whenever he re-enters the room.  It's cute.  It's still that "I'm the queen of England" wave.  

She's really close to crawling.  While on our trip, she started getting her knees under and sitting in crawling position.  She'll often rock back and forth like that now.  She'll pull up on things, but usually only to her knees.  She can climb over things no problem and is enjoying her new freedom to explore.  Sometimes its nice that our apartment is small.  

Next.  House stuff.  Long long story short - we were trying to decide if we wanted to put house hunting on hold to move into a rental this weekend because our current place offered to pay us 3 months rent to move out.  It was a good deal.  We found a really awesome place - a single family house (can you say rare?) in a really good location for us.  Completely updated, it was huge, the kitchen was amazing.  It was perfect and had everything we wanted.  BUT.  It wouldn't have saved us any money to move - it would have been slightly more expensive each month.  We made the (we hope responsible) decision to stay put for now and keep house hunting.  If we're going to be paying the same money - we'd rather invest it into something we own.  ....But it would have been really nice to have a place for a kitchen table.  

What else?  I have phone again.  We re-activated my old phone.  It's the original iphone and it now feels like a big clunker compared to the new one I had.  While I still think the phrase "ancient iPhone" is a bit oxymoronic - that is exactly what it is.  I'm not complaining though - I'm happy to have contact with people again.  I just can't take videos anymore.  life goes on.

Oh, another Abby thing I've been meaning to document.  She's getting really good at feeding herself.  Her pincer grasp is about 80% accurate now.  Sometimes she still grabs things with her fists and then can't figure out how to get it in her mouth - but usually she gets it.  She's also showing more interest in "real" food and less enthusiasm about pureed things.  She'll eat it, but not with the gusto she has for a fresh peach or something. 

OK.  I know that was a lot of random catch up stuff.  I promise I have more interesting things to write about, but I had to get all of that out first.  I have a completely open Friday in front of me.  It's very exciting...so many possibilities for what to do today :)  Hope you all have a great day too. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Abby is getting close to her usual happy self. I sure hope so. wish I could see her eat a fresh peach with gusto!

I thought you mad a good decision to stay put a while. You have a lot of transition for this year. Soon enough something new.

Antique I Phone?

I got Social security disability for about three months.

I love you so much! Be Happy!

Granny

background

counter