Saturday, August 8, 2009

food and firsts

So yesterday turned out to be a pretty good day afterall - even without a plan.  We had a lot of food firsts in one day.

For starters, We did our weekly grocery shopping with Abby and bought her chicken.  This is the first time she's ever had meat.  As I've mentioned before, we're trying to go the organic route as often as possible with her food, so we sprung the extra bucks for the hormone free meat.  Maybe its just me - but the idea of "organic" meat seems more important than organic veggies.  I feel like a lot of the meat we eat has a lot more than meat in it, y'know?  So - I felt good about getting her some of the good stuff.  Maybe its all in my head - who knows.  

Here she is looking pretty goofy.  :)  What can I say?  She's excited about the grocery shopping. 

In addition to meat, we also picked up some teething biscuits and some cereal puffs for her to try.  My hope is that she'll be able to handle them and that I can bring them as a plane food.  I think dry cereal puffs sound much cleaner than purred...anything. 

She definitely loved the teething biscuit.  It was a mess and got all over her - but she dug it.  Next I tried to see how she'd do with the puffs.  I fed her a few and she seemed to have no problem with them.  So, before dinner, I decided to let her practice her pincer grasp.  We're not quite there yet.  She traps things between her index finger and the knuckle on her thumb.  When she does get it to her mouth - it's kinda hit or miss whether it goes it on not.  Sometimes she uses her other hand to "poke" the food in her mouth.  

As you can see, it takes lots of concentration.
I was super excited about giving her chicken for dinner.  But, since she has not yet mastered the art of chewing, I decided to go ahead and puree it.  Yeah, I know, sound gross - and it doesn't look wonderful either, truthfully.  I also made her edamame for the first time.  She ate them both separately ok (the chicken was a bit dry) but she really loved them when I mixed them both together with some yogurt.  Then we were in business!  

Kyle and I decided to continue our new food exploration and mixed some yogurt, chicken, and curry powder.  Abby ate it, but didn't love it as much as the other mix.  Don't worry Abby - one day you'll appreciate the yumminess that is chicken curry.  

Also, as an aside, after Abby was in bed for the night, I made salmon for the first time.  I know, I know - for the first time?  Yeah - its usually too pricey for me to get, but I found some huge filets on sale.  I made a nice almond crust and was quite happy with the way they turned out.  Yay for new cooking too.  

So.  After all our food fun, little miss was a big mess.  Bathtime calls.  Abby got to sit in the tub the whole time without her sling chair - another first.  She really enjoyed learning to splash and *really* enjoyed her duckie.  I love how much she loves sitting up - you can just tell she feels so proud of herself. 

Mmm. duck. 
(notice her poor little rug burned knees)

She just about pulled herself up here.

Here's a short video of Abby playing with her duckie.  Kyle and I were tickled because it sounded like she was trying to say "duck" over and over.  My favorite part is towards the end when the duck squeaks at her and she looks so happy that he spoke.  :)

2 comments:

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

Don't you love how much they concentrate on that pincer grasp? man, it keeps her occupied for, like, MINUTES. heh. seriously though, she gets so quiet and intent!

Anonymous said...

The puffs are a life savor!!! Oh my goodness...Brylee loves them and they will keep her busy forever!!

background

counter