Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Dear Abigail

Dear Abby, 

There was a time when we would go on outings and I would see other babies and notice how big they were.  Some of them were nearly toddlers, or at least looked like it.  Most of the time, their parents would glance at you and get that look in their eye - the look of admiring a newborn baby.  It seemed like all the other babies were bigger than you.  You were the newest. 

Something changed, and I'm just now beginning to notice.  Now, when we go on outings, there are more and more small babies.  I look at them and think "wow, they're so small!"  There are fewer big babies.  

When did things switch?  When did you, my little tiny Abigail, become the big girl sitting up in the cart seat by herself?  When did you outgrow those little clothes?  When did you learn to grin at every passerby who tells you how blue your eyes are?

Today at the park, you were swinging next to a little boy.  He was a tiny bit smaller than you.  When his mom told me that he was almost 9 months old compared to your 7.5 - I realized that this was the first time that you had been the bigger baby.  So far - you've always been the smallest.  Perhaps this is why I'm just now seeing how much you've grown.  

I love that you're growing.  You are so much fun.  You love being with us and you love playing with us.  You're so happy - almost always.  I am very much enjoying our first summer together.  These are memories that I'll always cherish.  It is great watching you experience new things.  Today - we let you experience clovers.  You were very interested in them.  Today, you also sat in a high chair at a restaurant for the first time.  You were so very proud of yourself!  You only stopped grinning to eat (or to chew on the table) - and then you would look at me and grin so big that I could still see all of the food you hadn't yet consumed. My goodness do we love you.  I imagine that these snapshots in my head are the same ones I'll replay when you start school, go to college, get married.  Along with the millions we'll add along the way. 

Your dad and I want you to be happy.  And just in case we really mess up down the road - I want you to know that we're doing our best to give you the world.  You mean everything to us!  

People always say that kids grow up so fast.  I've always tried to remember that.  I try to enjoy each moment with you and not dwell too much on the age you're about to be.  I try to surround myself in the age that you are.  This means that this won't be the first time that I suddenly realize how much you've grown up.  Bear with me, when you're older - and I'm embarrassing you somehow.  Just remember that I probably don't realize how much you've grown.  It takes us moms a while sometimes.  

Anyway.  I just felt like writing you.  So that one day you can look back on this and know that you have made my entire world an amazing and exciting place.  We're very lucky to have you as a daughter.  Love you bunches. 

mom.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think maybe you know what you and Jennifer and Michael did to my world. I am so grateful to you.

Granny

*Jen* said...

This is so sweet :)

jennybee said...

(cry)

background

counter