Thursday, January 7, 2010

Christmas 2009

So yesterday night I spent several hours uploading the 1,072 pictures I took in the week and a half we were in Arkansas. That's a lot of pictures. Too many for my little laptop to hold, so they're all on our big desktop computer. Anyway - point is - I don't have access to all the pictures I'd like to share at the moment (here at work).

I've got a link to all the pictures - I just can't post them in the blog yet. And they're on facebook anyway. But, I want to jot down a few memories before they escape through the cracks in my brain. I feel like we didn't get home with any sort of time to relax or unpack (I'm still not unpacked) and just hit the ground running. And then Abs and I have both had a cold and that drains the energy out of you too. I've spent the only energy I have trying to clean, cook dinner, and take care of Abs. So, blogging gets a little neglected. Sorry about that.

But, here's just a review of our trip - for memory's sake.

We got to Arkansas fairly easily. After we landed, we went to my aunts house where both of our families and several friends gathered. We all enjoyed the company and merriment for many hours before we headed to Conway.

We spent Christmas Eve in Conway getting last minute things done. I sprained my ankle right before Christmas Mass. We took Abby to the earlier "kids" service since I didn't relish the idea of taking her to church at midnight. The service was nice, but not particularly Kid-ish. Abby tore pages out of the song book and Kyle walked around with her through a lot of the service. After family pictures were taken, Kyle Abs and I headed down to Pine Bluff to spend the night at my parent's house.

We put Abby to bed right when we got there, but we enjoyed decorating the tree together with my sister and her husband, and my brother. It's nice to have everyone all together. We stayed up way too late, but Abby doesn't care when I go to bed - she was ready for Christmas morning at 6:30am.

We had a nice time with my family. We all got lots of thoughtful gifts. Abby was, of course, completely spoiled. Her big present from my parents was a wonderful handmade wooden train set. There's nothing like wooden toys - and this will be something that will be with her for life, and maybe she can give it to Her kids one day. She still loves it - she loads the blocks into the carrying cars and drags the train around. We love it - so Thanks Granny & Grandpa!

After a hurried breakfast, we packed up and headed back to Conway for Christmas with Kyle's family. Again, we were spoiled rotten. Abby got a gloworm from Papa & Ouma and it's gone with her everywhere since. We got some awesome books and a big green hippo and lots of fun stuff. We ate lunch with the fam before Kyle and I, once again, packed up and headed to Little Rock for Christmas at Grandmas with my extended family.

Christmas at Grandma's is the epitome of tradition. All the comforting foods, the people, the same Christmas decorations that I've seen every year for 27 years. I love it all. We put Abs to bed while the family opened gifts and visited. But all too soon, it was time for us to go back to Conway.

The next day was Shachmut-Day. Our gift to Kyle's parents was a day with all the kids. We took tons of family photos, ate together, played games, shopped, and just hung out. It was a really nice day! The next morning, we drove back to my parents and went to church where Abby was introduced to the congregation and got lots and lots of attention. Jennifer and Ben had to leave after that, but Kyle and I spent the next several days in Pine Bluff.

We found time the next day to spend with our friends Billie Jo & Ricky. I've mentioned them before - but they were just made for me and Kyle I think. We don't get to see them near enough and it was nice to spend the day with them. Kyle and I soaked up the southern goodness of eating yummy fresh fried fish, hushpuppies, fried potatoes and mushrooms and other yummy things. Billie Jo's mother makes sure nobody leaves her house hungry - and we sure didn't.

A day later, we drove back to Conway to spend a few days visiting friends. We had visits lined up rapid fire, but so enjoyed every one. Abby got to meet little Pratt, and I was so happy to visit with Hannah and Amy. If you follow Hannah's blog - I can just tell you that the pictures don't do Pratt justice - he's completely adorable and perfect. We met up with Leah and Justin and got to see Leah's little belly starting to grow with their own little one, we took pictures with the family at the Old Mill - but it was too cold to stay out for long, so that particular visit was brief. We met up with the Deckers for New Years and spent some time with their boys Noah and, our godson, Drew. Those boys are so much fun. :)

New years night was spent strategically packing our suitcases. We kept things low key. Watched the ball drop on TV, got a kiss, and kept packing. You wouldn't believe how much you can get in a suitcase when you put your mind to it.

Kyle flew out New Years Day and Abby and I spent the next few days back in Pine Bluff with my parents. I know they enjoyed the time with the wee one too.

So it was a vacation of much traveling and lots of visiting - but I'm so glad we were able to make the trip. It's always important to me to be around family for Christmas.

I know this wasn't the most entertaining post of the year (hey, we're only a week in!) But I wanted to just document the time.

Here's a link to some of the pictures (not all 1,072) we took on the trip. Maybe one day I'll feel like I'm caught up and have time to blog about all the little things I want to remember as well. At least that's my goal.

No comments:

background

counter