Monday, January 4, 2010

getting here

I know, I know, I still have to blog about Christmas eve, and Christmas, and visiting with friends and family, and New Years....

but first I'm going to document yesterday.

Kyle flew home from AR a few days before I did to save some much needed money and so Abs and I were traveling "alone" I was confident. I had my bags strategically packed to the max. I could grab food, toys, books, diapers, or anything else without even looking. We had a farewell lunch with both families and some friends before I had to head to the airport.

While we were eating lunch, Abby pulled a napkin off the table and I heard something fall into her diaper bag, but when I looked down, it was just her book. So, I didn't think anything else of it.

We said our goodbyes and I rushed off to the airport - antsy to just get to the gate - y'know how it is, when you just want to get through security so you can relax? It took a little longer to check in than I would have liked - had to get an infant ticket thing printed, but soon we were waiting in line for security.

Abby in her stroller, me with a diaper bag across my chest, backpack on my back, gloworm in my hoodie pocket. I decided I would NOT be one of those people that holds up the whole line. I was ready. As soon as we hit the x-ray machine line, I was in motion. Bucket, my shoes, Abby's shoes, wallet, phone, glowworm, jacket, sippy cups, backpack, diaper bag, *juggle child, close stroller with my left foot and hoist it up to the machine* It was smooth as pudding pie. In fact, the man behind me said "Well, I was going to offer to help, but you're awfully efficient, I guess this is isn't her first flight?"

"19th...I think"

Then, for the first time ever, I set off the metal detector. Hmm. Belt-buckle...it's never set it off before, but whatever. It took me forever to get my belt undone - the nice man behind me put it through the machine for me. I get through and a lady is asking me, "M'am is this your bag? I need you to come with me"

And so we go off to the side where this lady proceeds to unpack everything my Perfectly packed bag. Sigh. I'm trying to calm a crying Abby who doesn't Want to sit in her stroller when I look up and I see the woman pull out a big huge Steak Knife.

And this is where I died on the spot.

Even in that instant of "what??" I already knew what had happened. And I knew that telling the security agents that "Well, you see, we were at lunch and my baby dropped the knife in the bag, but I thought it was a book, and, and and.." already sounded pretty lame.

And because I'm me, I start crying. Sure that they were going to cart me off to some white walled room with a CIA agent and an electric chair. The women were very nice. After many ID checks and telling them what happened several times, giving my info and "surrendering the weapon" I was let go.

We found out then that our flight was delayed, which was fine. This gave me enough time to buy a jug of milk for Abby to drink on the plane. Then I go to put the stroller in its bag. It was bound to happen, I know, but I must have not been thinking straight. I put Abby on this chair in front of me and in the 2 seconds it took for me to zip a bag - she fell off. I looked up to see her flipping backwards through the air, landing on her neck (I was sure she'd be paralyzed for life) and falling on her face. I swooped her up and sat down and held her close while we both cried.

For those of you keeping track at home - this is the second time I've cried before even getting to our gate.

When Abby calmed down, I looked at her to see this HUGE red and purple knot on her head. And I cried again.

Fast forward.

We get on the plane - next to some guy who knows he just lost the plane seat lottery when he sees me approaching the empty seat next to him. His quote was "At least its a short flight" ...although he meant it nicely. He was no help. As we taxi out, I try to get Abby to drink her water and she won't. She needs to drink something for take off, so I chugged her water and opened up the milk I bought.

...and then I watched as I poured rancid, chunks of milk into her sippy. It was beyond spoiled and I was angry now. I scrambled to find where the security agent had stuck my backup sippy and we were eventually settled. Ugh. Abs didn't sleep, but that's ok - the flight is like 7 mins long to memphis.

Ok. Let me *try* to shorten this.

We get to memphis and our 6:50 flight was pushed back to 9:30. Then it was pushed back to 10:30. I walked the terminal with Abby in the stroller to get her to fall asleep for 2 hours before my foot (still tender from the sprain) couldn't take it anymore. I let her crawl around as much as I could, but everything was filthy. She finally fell asleep at 9. 3.5 hours after we got there. She looked like some little street urchin all dirty faced and dusty. Poor kid. It was a looong layover for a baby who hadn't napped more than 20 mins that day and a long layover for a mom who was 2 inches from being Done.

In a panic that our flight would be delayed further and all the stores would be closed, I bought a bunch of drinks and snacks that I never got around to eating - but I also bought Abby a commemorative Delta airplane keychain that lights up and makes airplane noises. Because, it's like her 20th flight (I think?) and if you can't laugh, you'll cry.

We did eventually get on our flight. I'll skip the part about how I wanted to punch the desk attendant who, when she saw Abby crawling around said, "Honey, that floor is really dirty, you might just want to hold her" SERIOUSLY? Yeah, I'll skip that. Abby slept most of the way back to Boston, she fussed a little when she couldn't get comfortable, but she was ok. By the time we got back to Boston, the trains had stopped running so we had to take a cab ($cha-ching$) back home. But really, I didn't care. He could have charged me double and I would have just been glad to be home.

Abby was still in a sleepy stupor when we pullled up to the house, but as soon as she saw Kyle, she was wide awake and chirping "da-da!" It was cute. For as much as I LOVE Arkansas, I found the cold biting air and the mounds of snow on either side of our walkway more than comforting last night.

Abby slept till nearly 10 this morning, I wish I could have. But I got to work and have actually been pretty productive on this first day back. :)

So, I promise to update about Arkansas as soon as I get a moment to unpack and upload pics - but I wanted to also document mine and Abby's adventure home.

Happy New Year!

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh my goodness! You poor thing! Glad you guys made it home ok, but what an ordeal!

Heather said...

Oh you poor, poot things!! Sorry for a horrible trip!

Erin said...

Oh my! What an experience! Although I have to say, your writing at least brings an amusing side to it. I guess that's what you meant by laughing instead of crying!

Mom and Sons said...

LOL Laura ... only you could have turned such an experience into such a beautiful piece of writing! I bet your security person went home and told your story to their family and chuckled a little! So glad you guys finally made it back home!

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

Laura, oh my GOD. After the day you had, I am seriously impressed that nosy obnoxious woman didn't get a stream of expletives in response to her little bit of a$$vice about the floor being dirty.

SO glad you made it home.

*Jen* said...

Oh Laura!! I feel so badly for you & Abby. Glad you made it hope safely.

Anonymous said...

*HUG*

background

counter