Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lent

I've always liked the beginning of Lent. I always enjoyed the Ash Wednesday services and getting the ashes marked on my forehead. It made me feel special - and there's something very comforting and intimate in that symbolic gesture.

I was in Jr. High when I first learned that not everyone observed Lent. I remember sitting in civics class and asking a friend what they were going to give up for Lent. They responded with some version of "whatchyou talkin about willis?" I had always been surrounded by people from the Methodist church who observed Lent, I don't think I ever knew any Catholic families. Most of the people I knew were either Baptist or Jewish. I remember, after being a little shocked that not everyone knew what it was, feeling kinda special. Like I was in this secret club who knew about this secret season. :)

Converting to Catholicism was an easy transition. And now, living in Boston, almost everyone I know observes lent - and if they don't - they at least know what it is.

I think it is important to remember that Lent is not just about giving something up. It does your spiritual life little good if you just give up chocolate for 40 days and replace it with grumbles and complaints. Giving up a vice does two things, in my opinion. It gives you an opportunity for self improvement and it, for lack of better word, forces you to rely on God more than perhaps you're used to.

One of the first bible verses I remember learning was in vacation bible school as a kid - and, to this day, I cannot recall the verse without saying it in the same VBS rhythm.
"I can do all things - through Christ who strengthens me - Phillipans 4 (clap clap) 13"

This is my second favorite Bible verse. (the first being "pray without ceasing") and it becomes my mantra every Lenten season. No matter what you give up - you will always want it at some point. And when that craving hits, and your hand is on the refrigerator door, I'll remember the verse, and it reminds me that there are things more important in life than egg shaped reeses peanut butter cups.

I'm looking forward to this Lenten season. I always do. It's the middle of Lent that is always the problem. ;) I think I will keep things relatively simple this year. In addition to the no meat on Fridays rule, I'm going to give up sweets and soda. I'm replacing the bad habits with working out and I'm hoping to start up a bible study at our church. The timing is a little tricky with Abby's schedule, but I think at least one of us (me or Kyle ) will be able to attend weekly. And I'm pretty excited about the chance to participate in it. Giving up something for lent, to me, is more of an opportunity than a sacrifice. At least, that's the way I'm going to try to frame it. I'm giving myself the opportunity to grow, spiritually.

I've also been thinking alot about teaching Abby these lessons as she gets older. I wonder how she'll one day participate in Lent. I hope she grows up with a strong relationship in the church. I'm sure she will. I don't remember the first time I gave up something for Lent, I was probably in at least middle school. One year, in high school, I gave up talking back or procrastinating when my parents asked me to do something. Of course, I didn't tell them what I was giving up until after Lent was over ;) One year I gave up salt, and if you know me, that was hard. But you always feel so good when Easter comes - that you made it - that you stuck with your commitment. It's like a New Year's resolution, except you're accountable to God, so there's a little more motivation to do well (at least for me).

So, I hope everyone who chooses to observe this somber church season does so with sincerity and resolve and finds themselves in a renewed and strengthen relationship with the big guy upstairs. What a fantastic opportunity we have.

Happy Ash Wednesday!

here are few pictures I found that I thought were nice. Enjoy.





1 comment:

Ricky Rodriguez said...

Observing in the Rodriguez casa. Enjoy the time of fasting and reflection. I'm never content. I always want something. I don't usually need. It. Gonna give up dwelling on new things, telling BJ I want this, and constantly looking at them online. May not sound like much but I never feel content and I hate it. I am blessed and need to enjoy it. Gonna observe Fridays as well. Grew up Catholic and would like to observe. Love you guys can't wait to get together again.

background

counter