Friday, February 19, 2010

spinach bites!

In an attempt to convince Abby that veggies are yummy again, I was looking up recipes online when I came across this one on this great site. So, I thought I'd give them a try. To make things more fun, I took pictures and am now here to share this easy peasy snack with you. ;)

Ingredients:
16oz of chopped spinach (I used frozen)
1.5 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup of breadcrumbs
3 eggs or 5 egg whites
(spices if desired)

First, preheat your oven to 375 and coat a cooking sheet with olive oil - set aside.

Next, cook the spinach. If you're using fresh spinach, you may want to chop it further. Once it's cooked, make sure you drain it well.


grate 1.5 cups of cheddar, add breadcrumbs

Then add the eggs

Add in the spinach and mix well

form into nuggets or shapes and bake for 15 mins at 375. Flip and bake for another 10 mins.

some of the shapes I tried.
serve warm and enjoy!

For the second batch I made, I added garlic, pepper, and oregano and they came out delicious! This recipe yielded about 32 nuggets, but it will somewhat depend on how big you make them. Also, I've heard that these freeze well and make for a great snack. Veggies, protein, and dairy all in one. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe. It sounds delicious! I'll have to try that.

~Leah

*Jen* said...

Did Abby like them?

Laura said...

Jen, she did! Although at one point, I had to coax her with a drop of italian dressing, but she ate 4 or 5 of them for lunch, and the same for dinner.

Brandy@YDK said...

i'm glad you shared this recipe - yummy

REA said...

hmmmm....mmmmm....mmmm..mmmmmmm. May I have another one, please?

Kristen said...

Thank you Laura - Nate has decided veggies are better for throwing rather than eating so I think this may be a great dinner idea.
Keep them coming!

background

counter