Tuesday, February 16, 2010

snow day

Oh and here we are again. The end of another fun filled day at the Shachmut house. I actually was going to write about Lent tonight, but I'm feeling a bit drained at the moment, so perhaps I'll save those thoughts for another time.


Today was good. It snowed, which I hadn't planned on. It's been snowing all day, I'm not sure how much we got, I'd guess around 6 or 7 inches, maybe a few more by morning. We ventured out and took Kyle to work and then came home so I could watch baby Reese for a little while while her mom went to a doctor's appointment. Well, I couldn't pass up the chance for more pictures - so I had fun snapping a few shots of Abby and her best buddy.




So, another thing. Abby has not been eating her veggies as well as she used to. I'm pretty sure this is just another one of those phases, but I've been trying to think of new ways to get her to eat her daily greens. So, today's attempt was this:

broccoli, carrots, & cream cheese

I actually thought it was pretty tasty. Abby ate one. Then she was done. I can usually get her to eat a little bit through hiding the veggies in other things, but I'm kinda sad she won't just eat plain broccoli anymore. Y'know? Hopefully she'll get over it, I'm not letting up.

So, back to our day. As I mentioned, it snowed, so I got Abby all dressed up and we spent a little bit outside in the snow. She appeased me by standing for pictures for a few seconds. She still had no interest in touching the snow. She spent most of her time looking at it with a kind of awestruck expression on her face.


When we got back inside, Abby wasted no time letting me know she wanted out of her snowsuit. Coat, pants, boots - take it off mom! So then Abby just got to crawl around in her onsie - which of course inspired these shots:

laughing at youtube


Soon it was time for us to go pick up Kyle. The roads were mostly fine as long as you drove with a head on your shoulders. The snow was pretty - big fluffy wet snow that sticks to everything. Here are a few pictures I snapped from the car while waiting on Kyle to get done.

Boston College


Kyle's laptop died today - suddenly it just wouldn't start. This was pretty high on Kyle's "things that will make me panic" list. So he booked an appointment with our local genius bar and we headed out to get the machine fixed. Well, Abby was in a good mood and very patient while we waited in the store, but soon she wanted out of her stroller. Of course - she still had on her mac baby onsie and so she instantly got lots of attention from people. Abby spent the better part of 20 mins or so walking around the store. I tried to keep her corralled in one section, but she was just wandering where she wanted. She'd walk for a bit and fall down and then instantly shoot both arms in the air as her way of saying "pick me up, I wanna do it again!"

She was really cute - laughing and giggling and so proud of her walking skills. It didn't take long before she had half a dozen employees playing with her. Then this lady comes in with a little brown curly haired puppy and the apple store nearly exploded from cuteness. The puppy ran right to Abby and she looked right at it and said "Dog!" It was fun.

Kyle's computer was fixed and we decided to go out for dinner due to time constraints. Because of the snow - there were no crowds. We headed down to the 50's joint not far from our house and enjoyed a meal together. When I left to pick up Kyle, I didn't plan on being gone long, so I didn't bring a diaper bag or sippy cup or anything, so we gave Abby a cup with a straw and hoped she would get it. We tried a few days ago, and she couldn't/wouldn't do it. But, tonight she did and was pleased with herself.

Here's the thing about straws. I bite my straw - I can't help it, it's a habit I never notice or think about until Kyle tries to take a sip of my drink and says "Ack! you bite your staw!" Because, you see, he doesn't.

Well, I'm proud to announce that Abby is my daughter after all.


So, after a nice dinner together, we headed home and I quickly changed clothes to go to the gym. I was running short on time, but decided to try to make it to a class I wanted to attend. Long story short: they shut down the parking lots when it snows and my options were to pay for parking in the garage or head home, and I had missed my class starting. I was bummed and started to head home.

But, about halfway home, I changed my mind. I mean, I'm not going to get any slimmer or stronger by just going home, so I coughed up the 6 bucks to park and went to a later class. It's a good class. I'd say that my arms feel like jello, but jello would be too solid of a material.

And here I am. Trying to stay awake for a little while longer to give Kyle some company while he whittles away homework assignments. Just another day in our life.

Happy Fat Tuesday people. I hope it was filling.

1 comment:

Brandy@YDK said...

beautiful pictures. love the onesie!

background

counter