Wednesday, September 29, 2010

long day

Today was a long day. Not all of it was bad, not all of it was great either. Mostly, it was just long.

It started about 4:30am when I woke up with a bad stomachache. Apparently, I had eaten something that didn't entirely agree with me. I spent the next hour and a half trying to convince myself that I would not get sick and then resigning myself to the idea that I would be sick, and then feeling disappointed when I wasn't sick - because then, I could have at least felt better. A little after 6am, I finally started feeling a little better - at least better enough to relax a little bit and let exhaustion wash over me.

But, umm, it was 6am and I was already going to be late for work. I had to get up. I texted my intern and told her I'd be a little late and decided to take my time getting ready. I didn't quite feel 100% when I left the house, but at least 85%.

Today, my intern and I had to drive down to an elementary school where we're helping cover cases for another psych who's out. It's about a 30 min drive. We got there and we did most of the testing we needed to do. I still didn't feel well, I really really just wanted to go home and curl up on the couch, y'know? I'd been up since 4:30 in the morning, and my body was protesting. But, no rest for the weary.

We headed back to our school and had a quick lunch. I decided that I would be a bit of a rebel and allow us to leave work 15 mins early (gasp!). We'd done our work for the day, and all I could think about was napping. Mmmm. Nap.

Once I got home, I remembered it was Wednesday. This means Kyle has class and I drive him from work to school. I had about 10 minutes at home before I had to go get Abs ready and load us up to pick up Kyle. It was at least enough time for me to change into some scrubs, an old t-shirt and flip flops. So much better. We took Kyle to school and headed home. Then something strange happened - I suddenly didn't want to go home. I knew that if I did, I was probably going to let Abby watch a cartoon while I dozed, and I decided I didn't want that to happen. I only get a few hours with her everyday, so I decided to make them count.

I took her to the mall by our house instead. This mall is pretty nice, kinda upscale with a bunch of snooty stores. I was amused that here I was in, basically pajamas with crazy hair, no makeup and not a care in the world about it. Sue me. Abs and I played for about 45 mins in their indoor playspace. She had so much fun, and she navigates and interacts with other kids really well (knock on wood) She's a little timid around bigger kids still, but you can tell she loves the company nonetheless. She laughed and squealed and jabbered the entire time. Several people commented on what a talker she is - and I laughed and agreed, but secretly my heart was feeling very proud of her. When dinner time rolled around, I decided I was going to do the irresponsible thing and take my girl out to dinner. Just the two of us. Girls night out. Mommy & daughter time.

We went to Bertucci's in the mall, no crowd, no wait, good food. And you know what? It was kinda fun. I actually enjoyed having a dinner out with just me and Abs. Nothing against Kyle, obviously, I don't mean for it to sound that way - but it was kinda special to be just the girls. We played and chatted and ate. We shared soup and salad. I ended up ordering Abby an entire bowl of tomatoes and black olives as that's all she was really interested in.

It reminded me of when my parents would order me a bowl of black olives when we went out to eat at Olive Garden growing up. As I watched Abby clean out her bowl with big smiles and audible "MMmmms" I thought to myself "Geez, she really is my kid, huh? That's utterly amazing"
Anyway. Abs was good for me the whole time we were out. I didn't even bother with a stroller, she just walks beside me. She holds my hand when I tell her to and follows close by my side when she isn't anyway. It was a really nice evening - even if it meant I spent $12 I probably shouldn't have.

We got home and I did let her watch an episode of Mickey while I tidied up things. Then it was time for a bubble bath, books, and bed.

And now, 15 something hours after I woke up, I'm finally relaxing and am very much looking forward to going to bed early tonight. It's been a long day, not bad, but long for sure. I try to remember to be thankful for all my days - even the ones that start out rocky and seem insurmountable. We always get through them don't we?

Anyway, thanks for stopping by, I hope you have a great tomorrow.



4 comments:

Renee said...

thanks for this post chick...as a fellow working mother it can seem that the day never really ends and sometimes they are more bad than good but you have to find the good and enjoy every moment u can :)

REA said...

Everytime we see a can of black olives we think of you. Now we can think of Abby, too! Hope you get enough rest and get charged up. Proud of you for not giving in to the TV babysitter mentality and spending even more quality time with Abby. You are a great Mother!
Love,
Dad and Mom

Colleen said...

Sleep well. I hope tomorrow doesn't feel quite so long. Although the end part of it (dinner out) sounded pretty wonderful.

*Jen* said...

I had lunch twice with just me & Paige last week, when we were traveling to and from visiting my family. They really are growing up fast!

background

counter