Thursday, September 30, 2010

grunt. me. manly.

Last week, a lovely member of our local law enforcement decided to pull me over.  He informed me that my right brake light was out, gave me a warning and some advice as to how to get it fixed.  He suggested that I just go buy the bulbs and fix it myself - he said it wasn't hard and it would save me money.

Such a helpful fellow.

It took me a full week before I could find time to run this errand.  I left from work and drove to our nearest Autozone.  The guys there found me the right bulb for my car and about $5 bucks later I was back at my car ready to give this a try.

It's not a complicated process.  Unscrew the cover, unlock the bulb, pull out the old one, and put in the new one.  Replace cover.  done.  

The only problem is that I was by myself, so I didn't have a good way to check the brake to make sure it worked.  Hmm.  

Luckily, as I was pondering this - a man walked by and I asked him if he would mind just watching the light.  He did, and the light worked - much to my delight.  So, then the man kinda laughs and says, "So, did your dad teach you how to do that?"  

I kinda laughed and said, "No, I just figured it out" 

Dude was visibly impressed.  It then dawned on me that, coming from work, I was looking a little girly-er than usual in my little wrap dress, knee high boots, dangly earrings.  The guy kinda laughed and said, "Well, wow, most girls wouldn't...ummm, I mean, most women wouldn't want to mess with that, I know my wife wouldn't have even considered changing it herself!"

I smiled and assured him, "well, I sure wasn't going to pay somebody $50 to do it for me!"

He agreed and walked off laughing and shaking his head. 

Who's da man?  Me, apparently. ;-)

Um, I know this picture is really boring, but I had to document something.  I actually asked Karen to take a picture of me holding the old bulb when I got home, but...I just look kinda silly, so instead, you just get to see my tail light. Ha. 

Oh, and one more thing.  No, my dad didn't teach me how to change a brake light.  But, the first time I got a flat tire - at night - in the rain - my dad, brother, and family friend came to my rescue...and they all stood with umbrellas on the side of the road and watched me, soaking wet, change my tire by myself.

He also taught me how to check my oil and other fluids, and how to jump start a car without catching anything on fire and what all the parts of my engine were.  He explained how brakes and brake pads work, and the other basic workings of a car.  I got a toolbox for Christmas one year in high school - it's still one of my favorite presents ever (and I still use it all the time!)

So, just wanted to give a shout out to my pops - thanks dad for taking the time to show this girl how to do the boy stuff too.  Love you.  

4 comments:

*Jen* said...

Love the Razorback on the back window ;)

Lauren McKnight said...

Ditto what Jen said. And praise you for changing a tire by yourself in the rain...as all the boys stood by and watched. I would have refused and probably cried. You are a much better woman than me. :)

Bobbi Sharp said...

Let me know if you ever need advice on changing your blinker fluid or muffler bearings. ;)

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

I love doing stuff like this, such a sense of accomplishment:)

background

counter