Tuesday, September 28, 2010

tuesday


I don't know how it's Tuesday all of a sudden. I feel that with the day to day routines of our work week, things are always kind of normal. Life is good and happy, but I don't have a lot of big "Oh, I should blog about this exciting event that happened!" moments during the week. So, days pass and we go about our day and then I realize I haven't blogged about anything in a week. Not even the boring stuff.

So, when I do sit down to write, like I'm doing now, all that comes to mind are the little things that Abby does that make us laugh every day. But, then I feel like that's all I write about. Maybe you don't mind. I guess that is the purpose of this blog - to keep those of you who care about our little life up here informed and connected. But a lot of our day is routine - wake up, go to work, come home, clean, pick up Kyle, make dinner, eat, put Abby to bed, sit down - maybe watch tv, and go to bed. Rinse and repeat.

Anyway, let's see what comes to mind.

The other day I was going upstairs with Abs and I turned to tell Kyle something. I called for him "Kyle!" and Abby turns around and says "Ky-el!" She kept saying his name over and over. "Kyle, kyle kyle!" When he showed up, I pointed to him and said "who's that?" She smiled and said "daddy!" So, whew, that's good. I didn't really want her calling us by our first names for, y'know, a while. ;)

Once upon a time, the peds office gave us a little board book named "Toby" Its short and about a little mouse named Toby. For reasons that cannot be explained, Abby loves loves loves that book. She is so cute when she picks it out every night. She says "Oh, Toby!" just like she's discovered it for the first time. I point to each letter on the cover and she says "T! O! B! Y!" I say, "what does that spell?" and she says "TOBY!" She gets so happy. I think I'll video it tonight.

Everyday we talk to Abby about her day. I'll ask, "Abby, did you go to the park today?" And she'll go on and tell me all about it. A lot of it is still gibberish, but she uses enough real words that I can usually understand her points. She'll say something like, "Oh, the park! Jibberjabber Swings and slide! JibberJabber a big dog! Jibber Jabber hear birds and a choo-choo!" It's pretty cool.

I wrote about these things on facebook the other day, but for longterm memory's sake, I'll put them here too. After the big Razorback vs. Alabama game last Saturday, we were putting Abs to bed and saying our prayers. We like to recap her day and say Thank You for the various parts of her her day. Kyle ended with saying "...and thank you for a good razorback game. Amen" Abby then crossed herself and said "Wooo Pig!"

We also had our first marker attack. I think a picture is worth more than words in this case.

It was everywhere. On her, on her dress, on her toys, on the carpet, on her table. I came downstairs from getting ready and she greeted me enthusiastically, "HI Mama!!" I started to say Hi back and instead resorted to "Oh no. Where is your father?"

Kyle hadn't noticed her getting into the markers. I didn't yell at Abby. I did tell her that markers were for paper, not arms. The poor kid was so sad for the next 15 minutes or so that Kyle and I ended up doing everything we could think of to make her smile again. You would have thought I'd yelled at her the whole time - not the case. I think she obviously knew it was wrong, and heard me sound disappointed and probably frustrated at Kyle for a moment, and was just sad. Of course, it's funny now. The markers came right off and it's a good memory. And she was back to her happy self in no time.

Ok, I'm out of time for now. I have to go buy a tail light for my right side breaks that has apparently gone out. I'll try to write again soon - hopefully something write-worthy will happen between now and then. ;)

6 comments:

Billie Jo said...

glad to hear the small things update. looked for the usual monday update yesterday and was disappointed. :)

Anonymous said...

Your small things update was a big thing for me. Thank you so much for bringing us up todate on your life. It's wonderful!

Granny

jennybee said...

Small things are good enough for me. Your small things beat my small things because they're from you and are thus inherently more interesting to me. Especially when they involve my wonderniece.

One of my first dolls was named Toby. I thought it was one of the best names in the world.

hannah said...

could that picture be any cuter? and could you come here and tell pratt something without yelling and make him feel bad? because he doesn't. he thinks his mom is a joke. a total joke.

i love these posts. they are my favorite. and you have mastered the art of explaining what she says to you. pratt is the same way.

love you guys.

Brandy@YDK said...

She's the smartest little girl EVER

*Jen* said...

Love it. Paige does the exact same jibber-jabber.

background

counter