Thursday, September 16, 2010

You Capture- Photographer's Choice

This week's You Capture theme was photographer's choice.

I intended to do something different this week, but as this morning rolled around, I realized I hadn't gotten around to that project. So, after a little bravery pep talk, I decided to share this one.

Before you were conceived I wanted you
Before you were born I loved you
Before you were here an hour I would die for you
This is the miracle of Mother's Love.
Maureen Hawkins



Yes, those would be my mommy tattoos. And, it's taken me the better part of 2 years to come to terms with the fact I did not win that particular genetic lottery. But, you know what? It's ok.

Because every time I see the part of my skin that was stretched and torn beyond it's limit - I remember that I was blessed enough to experience pregnancy. Every mark is a reminder that my body did an amazing job growing a child, which, when you think about it, really is incredible. They're a part of me now - part of the story of my life. If my body were a book, these marks would represent the most interesting chapter by far.

I don't believe moms should look like super models. I think we should look like moms. :)

Go check out the wide variety of pictures today at Beth's site I Should Be Folding Laundry. And, if you have a camera (any camera), think about joining in next time!

15 comments:

Bobbi Sharp said...

Awesome shot Laura...I too have finally come to terms with my baby war wounds...

Brooke said...

Okay - so it took me a minute to figure that shot out. And you would like I would "get it" right away, since that is what my stomach looks like too! I don't have good skin and am blessed with a zillion stretch marks too. But oh well, so what! No more bikinis! I am fine with that :D Sooooo worth it :D And you ARE BRAVE, girl!

Anonymous said...

Awww I get it, took me a second to figure out what the photo was of. You know what? If you had the choice of the stretch marks and the baby OR no stretch marks no baby...you'd totally pick the marks.

Ghosting

Regina Lynn said...

Oh my. Beautiful! That's exactly what my stomach looks like, after only one baby. Oh well, I was never into bikinis anyways.

Jen said...

Mommy tattoos, I love it! They are so worth it!

Stillmary said...

What an introspective post and picture! I kept thinking, "what is it?" and as I read and realized, I thought, "yes, that's it exactly!".
Lovely!

Anonymous said...

After having Cady I was looking in the mirror and remembered what you called them once, Tiger stripes. Then I didn't think they looked so bad. :)

~Leah

Unknown said...

I immediately knew what that was. mommy tattoos, I love it!

Heather said...

Love it!

Jasmine said...

what a powerful post!! Thank you for being brave enough to share, and encourage those of us with Mommy tattoos to be proud.

Stylist A said...

Mommy tattoo.. that is awesome. You go girl. Thanks for sharing :)

Krystal said...

great post. I am trying to come to terms with my body still. this really helps. well said thanks!

Lauren McKnight said...

That is awesome. What a way to celebrate your mommy tattoo.

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

oh wow, what a great way to find art in mommy tattoos. When I first saw i I thought it was the texture of a cozy banky. It kind of is. The blanket that held your baby for a little while. :)

Anonymous said...

I totally forget about Mommy tatoos. It's you kids who are unforgetable.I love the poem.

Granny

background

counter