Friday, June 13, 2008

fortune cookies

Ok, so first you need to know about last night.

Kyle and I went to taekwondo and, as usual, stopped for a bite to eat on the way home.  We went to wendy's and I had half a salad and a few fries before I was full.  We came home and I passed out while Kyle watched the Celtics game.  Jen and Ben got home around midnight and I woke up and felt like I hadn't eaten in a week.  Unfortunately, nothing sounded good.  What did I want?  Salty? Sweet? Hot? Cold?  I couldn't decide.  Then it hit me...I wanted egg rolls.  Egg rolls with sweet and sour sauce.  

Well, one of the great things about living here is that chinese is routinely available until 2am.  I started looking for a place to order from online.  Long story short- I got frustrated with the online searching, Kyle said I probably didn't really need them, and he made me a big glass of chocolate milk instead.  And, while it wasn't what I wanted...it filled me enough and I went to sleep.  

So, now for today.  I spent my day thinking about egg rolls.  I left work an hour early and went to a new little place I heard was good.  After looking at the menu, I tell the lady that I would like a SMALL chicken fried rice and 2 SMALL egg rolls.  I give her my 8 bucks and 5 mins later I have a bag of goodies to take home.  

I get home and start chowing down on this perfect goodness.  And then, I notice something....

...She gave me two fortune cookies.  Two. 

Normally, I would probably just brush this off or not even notice.  But I couldn't help myself.  I started thinking, "oh my gosh, did she think I was ordering for two people??"  "Am I eating like a cow?"  "Could she tell I was pregnant and was being nice or is this some play on eating for two??"  "Did she think that maybe I needed the luck?"  "Do I look like I routinely eat this much?"  "Is this really the normal amount of food for two people and I've just never learned appropriate food portions??"  

...it went on for a while.  I just stared at the extra cookie.  Slightly curious to what it says...should I open it?  Or should I throw it in the trash just to spite the Chinese lady who packed it in my bag?

Well, I opened it.  It said, and I kid you NOT: "It doesn't matter.  Who is without flaw?"

I cried.  And then I got over it and ate the other egg roll....and it was really good.  

1 comment:

hannah said...

this is my favorite post thus far. obviously, the Lord is in the fortune cookies :)

i was in hot springs this weekend. at a restaurant. had to pee...of course...so i'm standing at the bathroom waiting. and this woman comes up...and she goes, "oh, when are you due?". i thought it was so sweet...and so i happily said, "in september".

her response: "oh...so you're having twins".

so you're eating for two...and i'm having twins. :)

background

counter