Tuesday, June 3, 2008

history

I'm procrastinating.  I need to write 2 reports tonight.  I just finished one...but it took me 3 hours because I wrote while watching scrubs, what not to wear, family guy, and cnn.  That tends to slow my concentration.  

So, I still need to write one more.  I will.  But I decided I needed a quick break.  

Right now, CNN is counting down how many delegates Obama needs before he's reached the "magic number" Only 4 now.  It'll be over soon.  I didn't think much about it at first...in my mind I was thinking, "well, we've known for a while that he's gonna win...about time it's final..."  But then this lady on the tv who was reporting from where Obama will be speaking later made a comment that made me think...

She said, "So many people are here with their children, because this is history, and they want their children to be here when this historic moment is made.  When America elects the first African American presidential candidate"

wow.  

She's right.  This is bigger than I've thought about in a while.  I hope he wins the presidency, I'll give him my endorsement.  I mean think about it, my child will potentially never know a world before we elected an African American president.  He or she will be born into a world that has overcome a barrier that has defined a lot of previous generations.  That's big.  And exciting. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can I just say that you inspire me? I love reading your blog because you remind me to think of all the things that could so easily go overlooked. I especially love the wedding picture with all of us laughing. It's great! I miss you guys so much. It's hard to be so far from my bestest laura right now. Can we stop splitting the country and just live near one another, already?
--Billie Jo

background

counter