Monday, May 11, 2009

first mother's day

I wasn't really sure what to expect for my first mother's day - it's kinda weird that I'm a real life mom this year.  My brother wished me a happy mother's day and then quickly followed that with a "woah, how weird is it to say that to you?"  To which I responded, "yeah, how weird is it to have a kid?"  I remember telling my friend Billie Jo that I'm not sure that the reality of being a mom ever really sinks in.  Maybe it does, and I have moments that it seems normal, but by and large, it's still kinda surreal. 

Anyway. Kyle was out of town all weekend, and so I considered being kinda sad about spending Mother's day alone.  I decided against it.  I decided to make the most of the day.  So we did our morning routine just like always and then Abigail helped me open a few surprises.  My siblings sent flowers, and my parents sent a gift card and a little decorative piece, and Kyle got me a gift card for a teething necklace I've been wanting from smartmom jewlery.

It was all fabulous, and it was nice to have some special things to open.  Abby helped of course.  

After her morning nap and lunch, Abby and I headed out to Target.  She's developed a bit of a rash (and by bit, I mean - its really bothering her and I can't change her diaper without her breathing like she's hyperventilating and screaming) so we needed some special creme for that.  Of course, I wasn't at ALL using that as an excuse to go shopping at Target for other things too (shaking head vigorously).  I heart Target.  I got several things that made me really happy - important things, like a bottle drying rack, and a pacifier clip, and a new shirt for Abby (and maybe one for me too)  Anyway, Abs did great in the store and I had a lot of fun perusing everything and taking my time.

When we got home, Kyle called and told me that Abby had something to give me too.  He then sent me a clue and thus begun my mother's day scavenger hunt.  It was cute -all the clues rhymed and everything.  So, I found the one in the ice bin, in his shoes, under the sink, in a wii game box, then I had to go down to the car and find one there, come back up to the apartment to find one more.  But were we done?  Oh no. 

The "last" clue had six sentences with blanks.  I had to fill in the blanks.  They weren't easy, let me tell you.  THEN I had to take all of the words from the blanks, which equaled 22 letters, and rearrange them into five words.  Yeah.  So, let me ask you - how many five word phrases could you come up with out of: TAJRUCKUSHEYPETEROCSIR.  I know!  Impossible.  At this point, I was done trying and Abby wanted a nap, and I had a friend coming over.  I asked Kyle for a clue and he graciously sent me the first letter of each word. 

Well, my friend Stephanie came over with her son Tim (they were also stranded on Mother's day with dad being out of state) and we went out to dinner.  Luckily the restaurant had paper on the tables and we sat together and tried to figure it out for about an hour.  Finally, we came up with: 

So, after dinner we head back home.  I used my first cheat of the 6-week challenge to have some ice cream with Steph and Tim.  Half pistachio and half maple walnut.  It was perfect and I didn't feel bad about using my first cheat.  Yummy stuff.  Eventually, I make it back to our building and head down to the garage.  After some searching, I found an enticing box on top of the spare tire.  It was from the same place where we got my engagement and wedding rings. 



Color me surprised! It's a lovely pearl "infinity" necklace.  Kyle said Abby wanted to do something really special for my first mother's day.  I told him that she was setting the bar kind of high.  :)  He said that eventually, he knew I would be happy with finger paintings.  So true.  

So thank you Abby (and Daddy) for my very special gift.  Love you both!

I put Abby to bed and waited for Kyle's plane to land in Boston.  I had to go pick him up since he got in after the trains stopped running.  It was a true work of art transferring Abby from crib to carseat to car and back again - and she only woke once.  Whew.  I'm very glad Kyle got to go home for the weekend, but I sure am happy to have him back too.  

All in all, we had a great Mother's day!  There is so much more I want to write- but I'm at work and HAVE to get some things done.  So it will have to wait until later.  I'll leave you with these:

Happy Mother's Day Mom!


4 comments:

hannah said...

i LOVE the necklace. it is beautiful!

you deserved a wonderful mothers day, laura.

have a great week!

*Jen* said...

What a beautiful, thoughtful gift!
Happy belated Mother's Day! :)

And, the pics you take of Abby are AMAZING! I wish I had your eye :)

wordweaver said...

I knew Kyle was a "keeper" and am so proud of his imagination and general sneakiness! What a neat game and beautiful gifts!

Thanks for sharing the photos, too!

Anonymous said...

Like like like!

Granny

background

counter