Friday, May 8, 2009

situps

Tonight I went to kickboxing.  I've gone every Thursday night for 3 or 4 weeks now.  I enjoy the class - obviously, because I enjoy punching and kicking things.  

During my first class, I was almost in tears over how much strength I had lost.  I'm not exaggerating in the slightest when I say I could not do 1 situp.  I physically could not use my stomach muscles to lift myself from the floor.  I also could not hold a plank position - regular or sideways.  

Tonight, as I was on situp #20, it dawned on me that 3 weeks ago - I couldn't do this.  I held the regular plank position for 1 min, and while I still have trouble with the side position, I held it for 20-30 seconds, so it's still an improvement.  This all made me happy.  

It's very strange for me.  For a long time, I was the teacher.  I was the one encouraging others to kick harder, hold on, don't give up - and now...now I'm the one who just doesn't have the strength I used to have.  My back is still funky - I don't know if it's from pregnancy in general or the epidural specifically, but I have to be careful or I tweak it and it yells at me.  But, I digress - the point is, it's getting a little bit better. 

The first week I went to kickboxing, I about died.  Tonight, after class - I decided to go for a 15 min jog before heading home.  So, while I still can't fit into any jeans with buttons on them - at least I'm able to do a little bit more in the gym.  

baby steps people.  tiiiiny little baby steps. 

4 comments:

Bobbi Sharp said...

Baby steps is what will get you back into those button up jeans! If you lost it any faster I'd be worried, then I'd have to put YOU on the bacon greese diet (LOL)! You motivate me to want to get back into shape!

hannah said...

i remember the first time i tried to do ab work. it was six weeks to the day after pratt was born. i did the p90x ab work. it's like 12 moves in 10 minutes. something near 400 movements, maybe? anyway, i could not do the side plank to save my life.

i mean, i couldn't do any movement well...but i literally COULD NOT do that side move.

before pratt, my stomach was the only solid muscle on my body. i was so heartbroken. it was like i had worked on that thing for...oh, nearly 30 years...and then for 9 months...i don't work it...and it just dies!? what?!

anyway, all that to say, you're exactly right. baby steps. you will slowly get there. i'm not there yet...but i'm working on it. and it feels great.

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you!!! The tummy is a tough one, especially after a baby.

You have the right attitude, doing it a little at a time and not quitting.

I am thankful to know you, you are an ecouragement. I KNOW you will get there. Love, Tanna

Casey said...

Congratulations!!!! Your post has motivated me to get back to exercising.

background

counter