Wednesday, July 15, 2009

being home

One of the perks of working in a school district is having the summers off.  I've been looking forward to having this summer off since I found out I was pregnant.  I've been anxiously awaiting the days that I get to play "stay at home mom"  and pretend, for 2 months, that this is what I do. 

I've discovered, however, that I need practice.  It's really easy to stay at home all day and play with the baby and watch TV and clean...maybe.  It's a little harder to plan outings - especially when you're working around nap times and weather and lack of funds etc...  But, we can't just stay inside all summer - so I've been trying to do better at planning outings for us.

Yesterday, I found out that I needed to go to city hall for a form - I was at first annoyed that they were making me go in person, but once I had resigned myself to going - it was kinda fun.  While Abs finished up her nap, I packed my purse, pulled out the ergo ( didn't want to deal with a stroller on the T by myself).  I decided to try the hip hold.  

So there we are, waiting on the train - Abs in her pouch on my hip, just looking around at everything and me with my little bag and my baby strapped to me.  I felt proud of myself for getting out.  I felt very urban at that moment.   Abs got tons of attention on the train, of course.  She loved it.  We got downtown, got the paper we needed and headed home.  She got even more attention on the train coming home.  We actually ended up running into one of our pediatricians and had a nice chat. 

Today, we got out early for a Target run.  I had fun going with Abs - I actually found myself planning a girls day.  I thought to myself that we would stop and get lunch on the way home and then go to a park and play and so on.  Of course, I decided to honor nap time and head home.  

I'm thinking that tomorrow, I may try my hand at the park - maybe I'll introduce Abs to the joy of swinging.  :)  

I'm enjoying my time at home - I'm lucky to have the opportunity.  I think as the summer goes on, I'll probably learn to enjoy it more and more. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you have this summer time with Abs. Simple memories last a lifetime.

Granny

background

counter