Friday, July 17, 2009

separation anxiety

At least that's what I'm guessing is going on.  I hear it starts to happen around this age.  

Basically, Abigail now misses us.  (Awww). Yeah, it's sweet - and frustrating.  

It's sweet when you put her down and she looks at you and holds her arms up and whimpers - because she just wants to be held.  It's sweet when I turn out of her line of sight and she starts to whimper again only to burst into a huge grin when I magically reappear.  

But it's not so sweet when she has to go to bed at night.  We read our book, she gets changed for bed, swaddled, fed and rocked.  She is so peaceful and happy and...almost...asleep.  And then I stand up to put her in the crib and her eyes lock on mine.  As I start to lower her - she starts to whimper.  As she touches the matress, she starts to cry.  And as I tuck her in and turn away, she screams.  Oh me, it's so sad. 

The last few nights, she has screamed - not cried - screamed for a while each night.  These are the kind of screams that give you goosebumps - the kind that sound like she's in pain and really upset.  For the first few nights this happened - we went back in and calmed her or fed her again after about 20 mins.  But - we soon realized that we weren't really helping her.  Last night she cried for about 40 mins.  

Tonight, however, she screamed and cried more intensely than before - but only for maybe 2 or 3 mins.  SO - I'm crossing my fingers that it will start to fade.  

I mean, I know she's fine.  And she's always happy as a clam the next morning.  It's still just sad.  She just wants to BE with us.  She gets SO excited when Kyle comes home or when I re-enter a room after being gone for a while.  She would rather be sitting by us than alone and is generally always happy as long as we're there.  

Anyway, I guess it's just a phase that all babies go though.  Or at least most babies....or, at least my baby.  

Hopefully she'll realize soon that we're not going anywhere. 

3 comments:

Ben and Bethany said...

This is one of the hardest things about being a parent. Just so you know, every so often they go through it again. It stinks every time too.

She's suuuch a cutie :)

Anonymous said...

I'll always remember that.

Granny

Anonymous said...

OMG...Brylee has done the SAME thing for the last 6 nights. I thought it was her teeth at first, I didnt know, but I am thinking it is the same thing you are going through. I didnt even think of that girl, so crazy. Since 4 months Brylee has went to sleep like an angel, and then all of the sudden she was OUT OF CONTROL!!!! I may have to let her cry it out! Goodness..

background

counter