Wednesday, October 21, 2009

acceptance

I wasn't sure if this was something I should blog about or not. But, I decided it was.

My mom is bi-polar. She is also a Pisces. She is also brunette. She is creative, loving, and funny. She is an avid tea-lover and artist. She is diabetic and wears size 5 shoes. She respects nature and studies how to speak Cherokee. She is Methodist and imaginative. She is a reader and a researcher. She's 5' 2" And she makes the best vegetable soup you've ever dreamed of having.

It is unfortunate, however, that sometimes people can't get past the first part. Is there anything more stigmatized in our society than mental illness? I don't think so. It is a topic that most people know just enough about to misunderstand. And they end up perpetuating the stereotypes instead of understanding them. This isn't going to change any time soon, I'm sure.

What people with mental illness need is acceptance. And understanding. They need people to see them and not the disorder. I was thinking about all this last night and the thought floated into my head "I wish I could take the manic depression away" But, then I decided that this was wrong. It is part of who my mom is. It makes her, her. And I love her, the way she is.

I wish a lot of things. I wish I could keep her healthy. I wish I could take away all her worry. I wish I could take away her hardships. I wish I could give her an easy life. But, I don't wish that she weren't bi-polar. No more than I wish she were 6' ft tall and blonde. It's who she is.

Mom is sick right now. She'll get better, but timelines are fuzzy. She doesn't need pity - but she does need love. She needs acceptance and support. My family needs prayers to help them deal with the stress and emotions involved -which is why I'm blogging. I have a wonderful community of family and friends here who have been so supportive. Your positive thoughts are always a welcomed thing.

So, as your PSA for the day - if you know somebody who struggles with any aspect of mental illness. Consider acceptance.

15 comments:

Holly said...

Sending lots of prayers and love your family's way right now, Laura! I'm also the daughter of a bi-polar parent, and I couldn't agree with you more.

Heather said...

Big Hug. You always know just the right words at all times.

Brandy@YDK said...

A touching post. prayers for your family

Jessica said...

Big hugs!

Anonymous said...

Amen! We just had to say goodbye to one of our students today and it broke my heart. I understand his family has reasons for making the choice they have, but it was sad to see such a good soul leave our program. I've always been accepting, but not until I started working where I am have I started understanding. Well spoken.

~Leah

Anonymous said...

My heart broke reading your blog, Laura. I will pray for your Mom as I so understand mental illness having twin daughters with Aspergers which is also misunderstood in society. Wish I could give you a loving hug.
Kelsay

jennybee said...

Beautifully said sis.

Anonymous said...

Amen, Laura! Well said. Your Mom is precious for all the reasons you mentioned and we love her. Know all the Shachmut family has her and your Dad in our continued prayers. Love......Ouma

Anonymous said...

My dad was bipolar and my brother is too. I completely agree with all you said. I will send up prayers and positive thoughts to you and your family. The hardships can be tough, but I find that my brother's "uniqueness" can also bring great joy.

Ricky Rodriguez said...

Thank you for sharing this. We love you guys.

REA said...

I had thought I'd share on my blog but when the time came, I just didn't have a handle on my feelings right now. Words you can't take back...but YOUR words--wonderful! I shold print them out and take them to your mother...she will be SO pleased! Thank you, Laura. Thank you.
Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

I had a dream recently, before mom's latest. Mom and I were at a tent revival with a "Real Holy Ghost Healer" which would have been awkward anywhere other than DreamLand LLC. There were people of all kinds scattered around with a sad rainbow of maladies. Everything from missing legs, to cancer, head injuries, coughing, wheezing, comas. You name it, it was there. And one by one, the boisterous but oddly charming Healer went around and genuinely healed everyone. Limbs grew back, blood dried up, coughing cleared up, people could walk. It was great and impressive. It didn't seem to matter what the problem was. He could see it and he could fix it. When he came to mom, I found myself hoping that he would fix her too; as you said, take her mental illness away. Instead, he got quiet, looked at her sternly for a minute, and in little more than a whisper asked her "Why aren't you helping?"

Love from your incredibly proud brother,
Michael

Ben and Bethany said...

she's lucky to have such a sweet, compassionate daughter.

Your support is just what she needs and what a blessing that she has you - we'll be praying for ya'll.

Yvonne A said...

As usual you get to the point of the matter. Your love and compassion comes through your words. Love your Mom, and love you bunches, y.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lawa -

Love you lots. Love your parents lots, both of them, and our whole family lots. You amaze me more and more. And as usual, you are spot on. Prayers and waves of feeling going out all around....
XOXO Anne

background

counter