Sunday, October 25, 2009

saturday o fun

So a few weeks ago I was sitting around feeling sorry for myself - and for Abby - because we don't really have any other mom friends in Boston. Meaning, Abby never gets to play with other kids. She's at home all day with us, and unless we're running errands, she really only sees me and Kyle.

So, I decided to do something about it. I went online and joined a few websites for moms and found some other moms that lived close to me and had kids around Abby's age. Then, I e'mailed them. Much to my surprise, they e'mailed back.

So yesterday, three of us got together for lunch with our little ones....there was one more mom, but her little boy got sick at the last minute. So it was just the three of us. One little girl just turned one and the other little boy was 2.5 months old.

I had such a nice time. It was really nice to meet up with a small group of women and just talk and get to know each other. And the food was really yummy too. We went to this place called Not Your Average Joes. It was super kid friendly - there were kids and toddlers wandering around the whole time. It's like as soon as you're in that environment, you're instantly connected to all the other parents there - we all understand. So, when some 2 year old walks up to another table and tries to grab something - nobody really minds. Apologies weren't necessary. When we left, we had several other parents wave and say bye. Point being - it was a good environment for parents with little ones. And it was, again, really nice - refreshing even - to have a girls lunch.

And Abby did so well the whole time. I love that I can order off the kids menu for her now. You could tell she loved seeing all the people and playing with the other kids. Oh - I kid you not - after about 30 seconds of watching the other little girl (the one year old) crawl around - Abby took like 5 steps crawling when I put her down. For the first time. Is that all she needed?A pint-sized example? Now - she hasn't done it at home, but it was funny because I had just finished telling the other mom how Abby doesn't seem to want to crawl. Kids.

So, after lunch Abby and I headed to Target to, y'know, grab a few essentials. ;-)

Essentials like dish soap, formula, a bunch of new clothes for Abby and all new decor for our second bathroom and more.

The best part - was that Abby was SO good the whole time we were in there - over two hours. Over two hours you ask?? Yes - have you been to a Target? I could spend a full day in there and still have things to do. Anyway. Abby was just a little ball of social the whole time we were there and I can't tell you how many people commented on her. We had a blast.

So, a great lunch followed by some great shopping = a great day.

Abby took a late nap when we got home and slept for nearly 2 hours, so after eating a big dinner, we let her stay up a little later than usual. I think the combo of the late nap and being up later than she's used to turned her completely silly. She was hilarious. She was just rolling around the house, playing with her new clothes by waving them like pom-poms and playing peek-a-boo. We had a good time. It's fun that she's at an age where we can really play with her and she plays back, y'know?

Eventually, it was time for her to go to bed (which she did with no protest) and Kyle and I settled in for a movie.

all in all - a great day.

2 comments:

*Jen* said...

I love this day! :)

Anonymous said...

Aww! It sounds just...perfect. So glad you're all together where you are and have each other and are ENJOYING it!

background

counter