Saturday, October 10, 2009

cars, costumes, and cookies

About a year ago, Kyle and I bought a new car. Our little Saturn, we really love it. Not a day has gone by that I haven't been glad for that particular decision. So, it kinda stinks that Saturn has gone out of business. I mean, we can still take our car in for service at any GM dealer, but, y'know - it's just kinda sad. Anyway, the whole ordeal spurred us to make an appointment to get several small recalls updated on the car.

I'm really glad that Kyle decided to stay home with Abby because sitting in a waiting room at the dealership for 2 hours is fine when you're alone with a book and a phone - but with a baby...it would have been much more taxing. So, thanks Kyle. That's how I spent my morning - I got new doorhandles.

Afterwards, though, I was pretty excited for the opportunity to go to my favorite thrift store for some good old fashion treasure hunting - alone. Again, I've taken Abby a bunch, but it's much more relaxing alone. More relaxing and more efficient. My whole goal was to find something that would help me brainstorm halloween costume ideas for Abby. I've been thinking about this a lot.

As kids, we always *did* Halloween - we always had costumes and such. I remember one year when I was in 3rd or 4th grade, we missed halloween. We missed it because the city changed the date for trick or treating to better accomodate school schedules or something and, well, I guess we didn't get the memo. I remember being dressed up ears to tail as a black cat and my dad driving me and my brother around in search of any house with a porch light on. It was weird that there weren't any other kids out. Eventually, we figured it out. I actually remember thinking "Well, I guess this marks the end of my childhood" Dramatic a bit?

Anyway. Point being - I want to do Halloween right this year. I know Abby won't remember it. I know we're not going trick or treating. I know we may not even have a community function to attend - but, it's her first Halloween and it's my first time being a parent - and I just want her to have a good costume.

This leads to me over thinking things. I want her to have something cute, but we can't afford to order one of those adorable costumes I see online. I feel like it shouldn't be that hard for me to find something to make. I mean, as kids, we never bought halloween costumes, psh, we dug around the closet and made something work. And, after all, Kyle's right - we shouldn't have to spend money on something she won't ever remember and that only lasts a few hours at most.

So, back to the thrift store. There was nothing today. Sometimes you find stuff, and sometimes you don't. I tried and tried to make things work together or to be inspired - and in the end, nothing. For as excited as I get when I find a good deal, I'm equally disappointed when I walk away empty handed. So, anyway, I still don't have any ideas so feel free to throw me one if you've got one.

To improve my mood, I decided to make our downstairs neighbors a basket of goodies. I hadn't had the chance to actually meet them yet....one of those northern/southern differences. I feel like in the south, when you move, people are more likely to come over and introduce themselves and check you out. Here - we've lived in 4 apartments in 2 years and never known our neighbors...or even met them. So, I figure since we're all sharing this big house, I'd make the effort. So after all was ready, we gave them a basket of pumpkin bread, sugar cookies, and some fresh apples. Our kitchen smelled amazing.

I met the woman and she was super nice and seemed happy for the treats. Hopefully we can build a nice neighborship with them.

Kyle and I took a walk after that with Abby down to the park. This must be one of my favorite things. Taking walks with Kyle - its something we so rarely get to do. Our schedules are usually opposite and when we're together, its usually too late or too busy to go out walking. But today we all took the stroll in the nice cool crisp autumn air down to the park. We played with Abby and let her explore her surroundings and the other kids. It was great.

Finally, we headed home and decided that there was no reason we couldn't eat a little early and let Abby eat a little late and let us all eat together. Again - this is one of those things that I've been looking forward to since before Abby was born. Something as simple as just sitting down to a table and eating at the same time seems like it shouldn't have been so long coming. But, when you don't have a table or a place for one and your schedules are opposite, etc etc... it's harder.

But now we have the room and the furniture, and Kyle and I are going to make the effort to do family dinners whenever we're both home. Long time coming, but it made me pretty happy.

Oh, and we had tacos. :)

With that, I'll stop because this post was much much longer than I thought it was going to be. Here are some pictures as a reward for sticking with me this long.



No comments:

background

counter