Friday, April 16, 2010

monkey business

For some unknown reason, when you ask Abby, "What does Abby say?" She always responds with "ooh-ooh, aah-aah" like a monkey. My best guess is that she is associating the "y" sound at the end of her name with the sound at the end of "monkey"

...but it's more fun to think she just wants to be a monkey.

To bolster this theory, the child has developed a banana problem. We easily go through 20 bananas (or more) a week at our house- which is fine, because they're relatively cheap right now. Abby would eat 6 or 7 a day if I let her. Don't worry, I usually cut her off after 4. Definitely 5.

Every time she sees them - or notices them, I should say - she makes a B-line for the big bowl sitting on our kitchen island and says over and over "ma-nah? ma-nah? ma-nah?..." She gets on her tippy-toes and reaches as high as she can trying to touch the bowl. It's really hard for me to tell her no when this happens because 1) She must be hungry and 2) at least they're pretty healthy for you. Especially when she looks at me and starts signing "please" and staring at me with those big blue eyes.

Recently, Abby has learned a new skill. She now knows that banana peels should go in the trash can. This is part of our on-going series of "this is trash, this is mommy's wallet, they're different" You should see her. Once she finishes the fruit, she gets this big grin on her face, and she picks up the peel - looks at me for confirmation that she's doing the right thing - and marches over to the trash can. She stops, holds the peel over the trash can and looks at me again. She waits for me to give her a sign - a smile, a nod, something and then she drops the peel and bursts out into applause for herself - while saying "yaaay!" over and over...and grinning.

I love seeing her so proud of herself. And its fun that she's learning these little skills one at a time.

The other day, I was cooking, and Abby was begging for a banana. I just handed her one and said "take it to daddy, he'll help you" And she toddled over to Kyle and held it out to him, "ma-nah." It's these little things that make up our days as she continues to grow and develop. Little baby steps, but the next thing you know - she's all big and grown up looking.

I spent some time this morning flipping through her baby pictures - from the hospital and her early months. It seems so long ago, I almost can't remember her being so tiny. When my wedding ring was as big as her entire palm....crazy

Anyway, I came across this picture again - and it made me wonder if her monkey-obsession didn't have earlier beginnings...

hmmm... :)

I hope everyone has a lovely Friday and a fantastic weekend ahead. I'm looking forward to starting of my April vacation with some much needed family time.

3 comments:

Yvonne A said...

Maybe she thinks the bananas are manna. I know her great uncle Don did. Just sayin'

Anonymous said...

Ooh Ooh Ah Ah Abby! You go girl!!

Granny

Anonymous said...

Ooh Ooh Ah Ah Abby! You go girl!

Granny

background

counter