Monday, May 24, 2010

birthday week

Saturday was my sweet husband's birthday. :) He's a twin, so y'know - I gotta give a shout out to Auntie Kiki as well. Growing up, birthdays were always celebrated. They were big deals. Since we live 1200 miles away from our closest relative, sometimes I panic a little bit when it comes to Kyle's birthday because I want it to be great, but it's kinda up to me to make sure its special.

I decided to steal a play from my friends Billie Jo & Ricky, who do birthday weeks for each other. I decided we would do a 5 day birthday "week" with something special each day.

On day 1, we started small, and got Kyle a bottle of his favorite shampoo. :) Probably not what you would expect for a guy who has 1/8 inch of hair on his head. But, long story short, Kyle does have a shampoo preference, but has been stuck with an economy sized bottle of another brand for over a year. He refuses to buy any more because it would be a waste. So, we spoiled him with a whole new bottle. We're living large here, people.

On day two, we spent some time at BC and saw Kyle at work. When we got home, he got a new iPhone charger for the car.

On day three, we went on our family picnic (as previously blogged). While the real gift was spending time together - Abby also got Kyle a new shirt & tie. :)

In addition to the shirt, Abby spent a good amount of effort making her daddy something special. I picked out half a dozen of these wood coloring kits and let Abby pick out the one she wanted. She likes rockets.

daddy's girl

I have no pictures from Day 4, but it was mostly about food. We had an ID day. This is where we go to the grocery store and Kyle gets to pick out whatever he wants for dinner - impulsively. He picked out a surpreme pizza, ice cream, and some chips & dip. haha. :) ID day is not about being healthy. In addition, we both made room in our work day to meet up for a lunch date - and it was great! We tried a new little BBQ place near our respective work locations and enjoyed each other's company for an hour...we even went out for small ice creams after. So, that was day 4.

And then it was finally day 5! I got up with Abby and let Kyle sleep in. Abby and I did a little morning shopping and came home just as Kyle was waking up...which was also the same time for Abby's nap. So, we put her down and I made Kyle his favorite breakfast food in the whole world - potatoes. A whole plate of potatoes. While we were out, Abby got Kyle a new bag of dunkies dark coffee to try with breakfast as well.

Kyle and his one-eyed mug....they've bonded.

After Abby's nap, Kyle decided that he wanted to spend his day just walking the city. It's one of our favorite things to do and the weather was just perfect. We headed out to the commons and let Abby explore while we, again, just enjoyed the day together.


day 5!
Abby spent a long time at this gazebo in the commons. There was a group of people swing dancing and Abby was loving the music. She kept clapping for them and dancing to the music - she was as entertaining to them as they were for us.

Of course we stopped by to say hi to the ducks.

And we even got to see real ducks too - Abby was impressed.

sleeping swans

I tried to capture the feeling of the afternoon with this picture, but it just doesn't do it justice. It was just a beautiful, warm, green, lush, vibrant afternoon at the park.

My camera died shortly after, so I don't have any other pictures from the day. But, we had a quick dinner before heading home. We put Abby to bed and Kyle and I stayed up to watch the Celtics destroy the Magic in game 3 of the Eastern Conference Finals. It was a lot of fun to watch together! Kyle opened his other cards and gifts from friends and family and we called it a night. The next morning, we all went out for breakfast together before spending the day running errands around town and doing the chores around the house. Nothing extraordinary, but time together all the same....which really is the best thing ever.

I am so blessed to be married to such a great guy. Seriously. He is a wonderful husband, but he is also my closest friend. There is no one I would rather spend my every day with and seeing him as a dad is just icing on the cake. I'm constantly impressed with how good of a dad he is to our Abbykat. I love you babe, and I look forward to many many birthday weeks in years to come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Kyle!

Granny

background

counter