Wednesday, May 19, 2010

You Capture - Depth of Field

Photobucket

This week's challenge was Depth of Field. Because I know nothing about photography, I had to read the wiki article about it, and so I learned that depth of field is when a foreground subject is in focus and the background is out of focus, or vice versa. I was kinda excited about this challenge, because it truly gave me a chance to learn something about my camera.

Know what I learned? I learned that I wish I had a real camera. ;o) With a point and shoot, the only real way for me to control the focus is to shoot macro shots. So, I did. But I do wish I had the manual abilities to play with focusing techniques more. One day I suppose.

So, anyway. I shot random pictures all week here and there practicing different DOF shots. There is no rhyme or reason to these pictures, no story, no logic. Just some stuff I shot this week. :)

I practiced by the water

and at the playground
(mmmm, frappaccino & playtime)

I'm not sure if this one counts, but I thought it was pretty

I practiced at graduation

and in the commons

I even practiced at work. Any Freud fans out there? ;-)

And just because I like this shot, I'm adding this blast from the past - monkey & rope. :)

Thanks for stopping by! Make sure you go check out all the talented folks posting this week's captures at I Should Be Folding Laundry.

22 comments:

Brooke said...

I am impressed girl!!! These turned out so GREAT and this was your first crack at it!!!! Awesomeness.

Unknown said...

You did such a wonderful job! Really outstanding! WOW! Gorgeous images with a point and shoot. And you know what? I think people that learn with those and grow with those sorts of cameras turn out to be greater photographers. It is a challenge to learn on a point and shoot! If you can learn on that, you can be just about any kind of photographer you want! So way to go! :)

Jane said...

Very nice photos. That first one is soooo pretty, the light and the calm colors, love it.

Colleen said...

Love the graduation shot!

Bec said...

Love the squirrel!

shellycoulter said...

Very nicely done! The starbucks one is my favorite...that should be their ad campaign for moms. Ha!

They were all creative, random, & entertaining.

:)

Here Forward said...

I know what you mean about being inspired to have a "real camera" I'm feeling the same way. I think your photos are awesome especially the Starbucks cup at the playground!!

Amber D said...

This turned out great! The first shot is my fav

Bobbi Sharp said...

You did amazing for a point & shoot...give yourself some credit. I'm having a hard time picking a fav. It may be the water pic, but seriously I'm jealous of your ability to get Starbucks so readily. ;) Great job Laura.

Jen said...

You did very well using the camera you have! Nice shots!

Brandy@YDK said...

You take awesome pictures with just a point and shoot. amazing

Lisa said...

The Starbucks photo is great!

tippytoe foxtrot said...

Seriously impressive! That first shot is just, WOW.

Michelle said...

Great job getting some shallow DOF shots with a point and shot. Your shots were a lot of fun...especially the graduation shot.

Chantele said...

Great DOF shots!!

New follower! :)

flat yeast bread said...

mmmmmm, I LOVE that first one!!! and how could anyone NOT love a photo with Starbucks in it? seriously!

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

You did a great job!! You just proved that you do not need a fancy camera to take great shots.

(I wanna starbucks now)

Misty said...

these are super fun! Great job, I loved them all, but could really go for a frap now...

Deborah said...

Awesome shots - especially with a point and shoot!

Wordweaver said...

I'm proud that you are following in the footsteps of your grandfather and your dad as far as the photography goes! You have a good eye and are a quick study. I have a great camera your mother gave me when you were small--a 35MM Minolta with manual as well as automatic settings, a number of special lenses and special effects filters. It is too bad that film is so expensive and on the way out...I used to do my own darkroom work with it. If this was a digital unit it would be tops. But you are doing very well with your point-and-shoot. I agree with Kaishon's comments in that you will be a better photographer when you do get a more upscale unit because you learned on that one.

Love you and looking forward to seeing you next month!

Dad

Jade @ Tasting Grace said...

Wow. That first one? Amazing. Absolutely stunning!

Sabrina said...

Playing catch up....LOVE that first and last shot. Great job!

background

counter