Sunday, May 30, 2010

grill master

A while back, I blogged about Kyle's birthday week. But, I didn't mention what his "big" gift was because we weren't sure if we were going to take the plunge or not. But, after a good bit of research and lots of should we/shouldn't we discussions, Kyle decided to go ahead and get a grill.

He wanted a charcoal grill. I have never grilled before - let alone dealt with charcoal, but I read up and felt semi-confident about it. So, off we went to Home Depot. About an hour later and we were home with our brand new grill - all ready for the summer!

We decided not to waste any time, and to try our hand at it tonight. Burgers & dogs - I mean, you can't really mess up, right? :)

We bought a chimney starter - which I'm already a big fan of.

"umm, honey? Is it supposed to be smoking this much?"

(pretty smoke swirls)

Aaaaah. That's better.

While I tended to the coals, Kyle prepared the food. I think he was a little annoyed when I was like "WAIT! Don't flip the burgers yet! I need to take pictures!" But, he humored me. Because he loves me. :)

mmmm.

So, our burgers turned out a big rounder than we anticipated - but they were really, quite yummy!


Kyle and I were both kinda proud of ourselves for figuring this whole thing out on our own. Of course, there's no stopping me now. I've already got steaks and corn on the cob and half a dozen other things waiting for their turn over the flames.

So Happy Birthday Kyle! May you become a master griller beyond your expectations. >

3 comments:

*Jen* said...

We love our chimney starter too.
After 5 years with our charcoal grill, we took a plunge a couple weeks ago and got a gas grill. Yes, two grills now.

Corn on the cob on the grill is FANTASTIC! :) I also like to take a loaf of french bread, slice it lengthwise, and fill it with a softened butter-shredded cheese-garlic-black pepper mixture. Wrap in foil, grill. Yummers.

Bobbi Sharp said...

OH GIRL!!!!!!!! Have I got the corn on the grill recipe for you. Yes, I said recipe...

Adam & I do this YEAR ROUND! It is so scrumptious.

On a piece of foil:
*Slather the ear of corn in butter
*Sprinkle with parsley, dried minced garlic, salt & pepper
*Roll up the corn and twist the end of the foil and Poof!

It takes about twenty minutes on the charcoal grill. If you mound the coal in the center, keep the corn to the outside and turn every few minutes so it doesn't burn. Enjoy!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Brandy@YDK said...

very cool. what a great present. Chris has been grilling TONS of food on sunday and we eat on it all week - lunches and dinner.

background

counter