Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Dear Abigail

Dear Abby,

When you were 9 weeks old, it happened for the first time. You suddenly got bigger. I just looked at you one day and saw that it had happened. I remember it clearly. Maybe I remember it so well because I wrote it down, or maybe I remember it just because it was one of those shocking moments when you realize time is moving so quickly and you try to mentally slow things down so that you can savor every second. Either way, I remember it well.

And now, you've done it again. It's probably safe to say that you've done it, this growing thing, several times, but yesterday was one of those days when you so obviously shed more of your babyness for full blown toddlerness.

Physically, you're bigger now. Your daddy and I have nicknamed you BVF recently. This stands for Bottomless Vortex of Food. You have been insatiable for the past week or so. For the first time in a long time, I'm having to ration your food so that we don't run out! I can tell that you've grown taller, bigger, and heavier. You are a dense little thing. Of course, by heavier, I mean, you might be up to the 50th %tile in weight by now. I think you still weigh about 23 lbs.

You're also growing in your motor coordination. Over the past day or two, you have just become so much more coordinated. You can jog now, and that is how you get around most of the time. Yesterday, I watched as you went from sitting on the floor to hopping up to your feet. Your fine motor skills have always been good, and it seems that you are putting forth some extra effort into the gross motor skills lately. You love to climb now. You can get on and off the couch if you can find something a few inches tall to boost you up. You are so proud of yourself when you climb on things.

I'm constantly torn between wanting to savor each day with you, looking forward to the future with you, and wanting to pause time all together. Over the past few days, I've wished there were at least a slow-motion button I could press. You're changing so fast. It's utterly amazing, and you're amazing.

Your little personality is so much fun. You make us laugh all the time - and you know it. You are just a joy to us. I love watching you learn new things, make new connections. Yesterday, you kept pointing at your foot and saying "uh-oh" Eventually I saw that you had a little blister. Yesterday, you learned the word "boo-boo" and got your first band-aid for it. You picked it up right away. Later, when your daddy got home, you pointed to your foot and said, "shoes. boo-boo. uh-oh"

I love how you communicate with us now. It's just amazing.

So, I wanted to document this bittersweet time once again. Yesterday, May 3rd 2010, you grew up. Right in front of my eyes.

So now that we've acknowledged this, can you slow down? Please? Time is moving too fast for this mommy, and I'm not quite sure how to stop it. For now, I will do my best to stunt your growth with hugs, kisses, tea parties, books, tickles, walks outside, and love.....hopefully that will help slow things down. We'll see.

2 comments:

Brandy@YDK said...

such a bittersweet post. and as always - perfectly written

*Jen* said...

The best, most-true statement ever: "I'm constantly torn between wanting to savor each day with you, looking forward to the future with you, and wanting to pause time all together."

And I love "shoes. boo-boo. uh-oh."

background

counter