Friday, October 1, 2010

oh no, paper!

It's Friday night and Kyle and I are catching up on a few TV shows we recorded during the week.  Abby has had a little bit of a cold today - really just a runny nose, but a noticeable one.

So, we gave her a hot bath and put her to bed.

Just a few minutes ago, I heard her crying.  The monitor is in another room tonight, so she was crying loud enough for me to hear her downstairs - with the TV on.  So, I told Kyle that considering she probably doesn't feel well, I wanted to go check on her and give her some medicine.

I went up stairs and found Abs standing in the crib, arms outstretched ready to be rescued.  I picked her up and rocked her for a second until she calmed down.  I asked her, "Abby, what's wrong?"  She sat up and looked at me - her eyes barely even open - and said "...mumblemumble....the paper.  Oh no, the paper."  I asked, "the paper?"  She repeated "paper! Oh no, the paper!"  The whole while she's shaking her head side to side - eyes mostly closed, "paper, paper, paper..."

I rocked her for a bit longer, got her to take some medicine and water, and rocked her a little more.  Soon she was asleep on my shoulder.  I stood up and she woke up just a bit - with her eyes closed she pursed her lips for a kiss and fell into my face with hers.  She whispered "nigh-nigh mama"  I put her back in the crib and she sat there - eyes still mostly closed, obviously mostly asleep.  I rubbed vicks on her, gave her her blanket and glowie.  She just sat there.  So, I gently nudged her and she slowly toppled over, yawned, hugged glowie and sighed.

It was sweet.  I doubt she remembers anything in the morning, I'm not entirely sure she really woke up the whole time I was in there.  But, hopefully she doesn't have any more bad dreams tonight - about paper or otherwise.

No comments:

background

counter