Friday, November 5, 2010

dear new baby

Dear new baby,

Hi.  I'm your mom.  You are, at this moment, 16 weeks old in this belly of mine.  I figure it's about time I introduced myself.

So, first things first.  I (and your daddy too) am very excited about you.  We've known for a very long time that we always wanted to have several children and you, little one, are helping our family grow.  I think you'll like it here.  We have a good amount of fun, and there are toys, and lots and lots of love. More love than you'll understand for a really long time.

In the past few days, you've decided to make your presence known through very clear kicks and jabs.  You're still so very small right now, but feeling you move is one of the best parts about being pregnant.  And, since I can now feel you in there, it has made this pregnancy suddenly seem more real.  I don't mean that in a bad way at all.  In fact, I should thank you for taking it easy on me in the beginning.  You spared me from morning sickness or strong aversions or fatigue.  At the time, I worried about that and wondered if you were ok - but now that I know you're healthy and strong - I'm simply thankful for avoiding some of the more unpleasant side effects of carrying a child.  So, thanks.

We have different nicknames that we use for you since we don't have a name picked out yet.  Sometimes we call you newbie, and sometimes it's just something like baby or peanut.  One of the more unique ones is Picklesford Ogelsby.  We saw those names on a baby name list and thought they were terrible funny.  But, don't worry, we'll find much better ones before you arrive.  In fact, we'll probably have two names. We've decided to wait until you're born to find out your gender.  So, we'll have a boy and a girl name ready for you when you join us.

You have a big sister.  Her name is Abigail and I'm pretty sure she's going to be a really great big sister.  She's very loving and sweet.  She's also funny and I bet she'll make you laugh even when I can't.  I hope you two will be very good friends.  I'm sure you will be.

Your daddy is also very excited about you.  He's a really good daddy and you're gonna have a lot of fun with him.  He'll teach you lots and lots of things because he's really smart.  He's taking care of you right now by helping me remember to take my vitamins so that you have plenty of nutrients coming your way.

Speaking of nutrients, what's with all the salt and beets?  I mean, I've always liked salt - but you must really like it.  You seem to be demanding it all the time.  ;)  You're a little lukewarm on sweets though.  Which is actually ok because you're helping me to eat healthily...most of the time.  Just thought I'd ask.

So, I just wanted to say hi.  I wanted to remember that this is when you started letting me know that you're down there - all hyped up on some coffee probably- but moving around and active.  I'll keep doing my best to take very good care of you, and you keep doing your best to grow healthy and strong.  We have a long road together before we get to meet face to face and I'm looking forward to it.

I love you already,
Mama

6 comments:

Cari said...

I heart that you are not going to find out the gender! I very much want to do that next time but I'm not sure I would stay strong or that I could convince Cory!

I love your letter. Oglesby is a lucky baby.

Anonymous said...

Peanut there realy is lots and lots of love for you. On that subject, Grandpa and Granny love you very much.

Granny

Kristen said...

You have given your child a gift before they are even born that most people don't get in a whole lifetime.
and you made me cry a little.

REA said...

How sweet, Laura! Years from now you will find this even more meaningful than now...and Peanut will be so happy to know how you felt about him/her!

I love you all!
Grandpa

jennybee said...

Picklesford Ogelsby transcends genders. It might transcend pretty much everything. Plus it sounds like a Dickens character. I think you should go for it. :)

jennybee said...

Also: Hi, little one. I'm your aunt, and I ditto everything your awesome mama just said. You're going to have a blast being part of this family. :)

background

counter