Sunday, November 28, 2010

halfway there

This week starts the 20 week mark of this pregnancy.  Halfway through.  Odd, huh?  First of all, here are a few pictures.  I've been doing terribly with taking monthly pictures (read - haven't done any) so these self portrait phone shots are all we've got at the moment. 

Technically, 19.5 weeks.

from the side


This pregnancy is so different.  Not so much the pregnancy itself, I suppose, but just my perception and experience of it.  With Abby, everything was new - something I'd never experienced.  I poured over books and internet searches for every scrap of info I could find.  With Abs, I started wearing maternity clothes full time around 16-17 weeks I think.  And I *really* wanted to do it earlier.  Maternity clothes were exciting and I couldn't wait to start really showing.

This time?  I haven't opened any of my baby books.  I try to remember to glance at my weekly updates, but I don't do much more than that.  I've been dreading maternity clothes and have been trying not to show as much (as much as you can help it).  In fact, I bought my first maternity purchases for this pregnancy yesterday.  I still have a pair of regular jeans that fit, but sadly, more and more of my other clothes are just too uncomfortable.  In many ways, this halfway point seems like the beginning of the pregnancy for me.  Mentally, it's like it's "ok" to look pregnant now, to feel pregnant now.

It's all silly.  I know.  But, my point is this.  I'm excited to be at this point.  Where I can embrace this look and this feeling and wear my little belly proudly.  It all happened very suddenly, but I think I can now pass as a pregnant person most days instead of somebody who didn't save any turkey for the rest of the family.

I've always told myself I would try my hardest to be as involved with #2 as I was with Abby.  Mostly, in the picture category.  I know it's not realistic of me to expect to take as many pictures of #2 (we've started calling "him" Pickles) but I don't want to completely slack on it either.  So, part of me already feels so guilty for not even taking monthly belly pictures.  I tell myself I'll start now.  You wouldn't think it would be that hard to do - but, for some reason, it seems to take a mountain of effort to get it done.

Anyway.  I'm rambling. Sorry.

Happy halfway mark Pickles.  So far, you've been an incredibly easy baby and have made this pregnancy a breeze.  I like being pregnant, so thanks for making it a good experience.

2 comments:

Yvonne A said...

Laura, you crack me up! "Didn't save any turkey for the rest of the family"! Thanks for making me laugh. Also, yay Pickles is halfway here.
Love you bunches, Y

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

it is SUCH a good feeling when it's clearly a baby and not a beer gut (or a turkey gut;), isn't it?

It's weird- I'm the same way, that I'm not really obsessing as much over this pregnancy, but at the same time, I really feel like I'm enjoying it SO much more. It's easier to think about the baby at the end of the tunnel, so to speak. I dunno, it just feels more real and more fun. so, maybe not quite as much hoopla, but special in its own way?

background

counter