Tuesday, November 30, 2010

trees

Oh, how I love Christmastime.  Can't help it.  Just do.  As far as I can remember - I always have.  

Random Abby picture.  In action, as always.


My family has a lot of holiday traditions.  I grew up thinking that everyone did, and sure, most people do.  But, as I grew older, I realized not everyone had the SAME ones we did.  Not everyone knew that angel and star ornaments go at the top of the tree, bears at the bottom, and that the clear french horn ornament needs to have a gold light near the bell.  Not everyone knew about the fine and delicate art of straightening the tree using old hymnals and books, or how you're supposed to drink hot chocolate while you decorate the tree.  Not everyone knows that before putting up your tree, you search the baseboards to see if you can find a single needle left over from the tree of the previous year.  Ah, memories.

When Kyle and I moved to Boston, we got a token christmas tree.  Small, fake, cheap - but it fit our apartment, didn't short circuit the electrical systems, and was charmingly quaint.  But now - now we have a slightly bigger place with taller ceilings, and most importantly - a daughter with a memory.

More than ever, I'm feeling the need to start our family traditions.  So, I've asked Kyle what he thinks about getting a real tree this year.  I could go into all the reasons for and against fake and real trees - but I'll spare you.  It suffices to say that Kyle prefers fake trees, and I prefer real ones.  Peace talks are still in progress. Mostly, these consist of me saying "....but the SMELL..mmmmm"  and him just giving me...that look.

Well.  I dunno what we're gonna do yet, but we happened to have playgroup at our church today and they happened to be selling trees.  We just so happened to get there early...soooo.  I let Abby run around the forrest of christmas trees for sale.  She had a great time.  The salesman told us all about the different kinds and broke off twigs and let us smell the differences in trees from the Northeast and from the West coast.  It was actually kinda neat - for me.  Abs had fun just running....and pointing out all the different colored tags tied to the trees.



So, I dunno if we're gonna get a real one or not - but it made me really happy to "teach" ...or at least show Abby what all the fuss was about.

After playgroup, we went to pick up Kyle from work.  He told us that they were having the Boston College tree lighting, so we decided to hang out.  We stayed for about an hour and a half and had hot chocolate, decorated cookies, listened to music and performers, and saw (a) Santa....from a distance.  Abby didn't want to get too close.

Abby had her first ever hot chocolate and looooved it.  I mean, a little. ;)


BC tree

I dunno.  It was nice.  Abby was a handful and a half running all over kingdom come, dancing to music, saying hi to people and constantly trying to escape my watch.  But, it was worth it.  Just for her face when she got hot chocolate, or her excitement when she saw the "wights on da BIG TWEE!"

I'll let you know what we decide on the tree front.  Either way, it shall be fun, pretty, festive, and a good memory for my kiddo.

2 comments:

*Jen* said...

I am the same way, had the same little family traditions. I'm so eager to pass them onto Paige and start our own, too. (I want to get an Elf on the Shelf next year; I think she's too little this year. A friend has one with her girls and it's a HOOT).
Wait until Abby decorates — that was the most fun all week here :)

jennybee said...

We have a fake tree now; less hassle, and there's still a tradition of assembling the thing just so every year. It's not the same, no. But I still look for tree needles along the baseboards before putting it up.

And I still find them. :)

background

counter