Thursday, November 25, 2010

thank you for this day

Happy Thanksgiving. :)

I've been trying to figure out how to write about all that I'm thankful for.  But, you see, there is so much.  I get overwhelmed trying to list it out, because while there are the obvious things like friends and family, I find that I don't want to forget to be thankful for petty things like peppermint mochas and seeing yellow leaves swirl around in the yard.  Yeah, I'm that kind of person.  I'm thankful for - everything.

I don't talk a lot about religion on here, mostly because I tend to be more of a private person in that arena, but I think my daily prayer fits in nicely here.

Every night, I have a very simple prayer.  I say "Thank you for this day - and everything in it"  Then, I start thinking through my day and I think about the specific things I'm thankful for.  But, I always start with the negative things.  I think through the past day and think about the things that stressed me out, upset me, or bothered me in some fashion and I try to think of a reason to be thankful for even those experiences.

Maybe I can be thankful for that really difficult case at school because it gives me an opportunity to truly help a child. Maybe I can be thankful for Abby's tantrums because it means she's becoming more independent and growing like she should.  I can be thankful that my leg was full of shooting pains because it means this baby is growing and making room in my belly. Maybe I can be thankful for somebody saying something hurtful because it reminded me that they might be going through a hard time right now.  You get the idea.  There is a positive way to look at most anything.

By the time I've thought through those things, and admittedly, the negative things are few on a normal day, then the rest of my day truly seems like a blessing.  I try to go to bed thankful every night.

Yeah, I know.  It's a little sappy and it's a little sickeningly optimistic.  But, I find that looking at things in a positive light makes life a little easier.

So.  Yes, I'm thankful for my family and my friends.  I'm thankful for my sweet amazing precious daughter and my incredible husband.  My job, our house, that we can make ends meet most of the time.  I'm thankful for all those things.  I feel very blessed that I have so very much to be thankful for.

I hope everyone, no matter your circumstances, can find something to be thankful for today and everyday.  Count your blessings and I'll bet you'll be surprised how high the number goes. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Laura, we are grateful for YOU. That our son married such a sweet, capable, loving, woman of quiet faith. We are grateful for our beautiful Abby and little "Shach II". We give thanks today for all our wonderful children, scattered as they are, and for God's goodness in steering our family and beloved Aussie Kuzzies through the crisis in Denver. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! We love you so much!

Ouma and Papa

background

counter