Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween 2010

What a great Halloween we had.  It was a day chocked full of activity, memories, and fun. :)

The day started off with a race.  Several several months ago, I decided to run in a local 5k.  The plan was to train and then be in really great shape to run the whole thing.  Then something happened.  Sure, part of it was the pregnancy and the queasies, but part of it was just getting busy with work and not having a good routine.  The result was, I haven't run in months.  But, I decided to go for it anyway.  

And look at how gorgeous the day was!

There were nearly 1000 people who registered for the race.  Most of them were in costume, which made things fun.  The atmosphere was jovial - people do 5Ks to have fun, y'know?  I had two goals: to run at least a mile and to finish in 45 mins.  I was a little doubful of the first goal, but figured I could walk the thing in 45 mins. :)  So, I was pleased when I was able to run the first 2 miles.  I walked much of the 3rd and ran the end.  So, I finished in 37 mins.  That's not exactly an impressive pace, but, hey, whose judging?  
See Laura so big and strong. 
I wore fairy wings


Kyle and Abs came down and met me at the end of the race.  Abby spent a lot of time pointing out "runners, more runners" while she waited for me.  I got a lot of post race kisses and Kyle took some pictures for fun. :)

After all that, we had to let Abs play on the playground.  It was really windy and kinda chilly so we didn't stay too much longer.  Kyle made me laugh - he strolled Abs ahead a little ways and then walked away from the stroller.  He said "Take her picture!  It's pretty with the leaves!"  I love him so.

We went home and then went out for lunch before coming back and putting Abs down for a nap.  When she woke up, it was time for halloween.  We put her costume on and went to the mall just down the road from our house.  We've been practicing saying "trick or treat!" for a day or so and she could say it - but what's a phrase with no meaning?

We visited marked stores throughout the mall who were giving out treats to kids.  It did not take Abby long at all to learn the association of "trick or treat" = candy!  She was quite excited.  Which - is funny considering she's only had a piece or two of candy in her life.  She certainly didn't know the difference between a sucker and a twix bar, y'know?  But she had a great time. 


She got this balloon at one store and was just pleased as punch the rest of the day with it. 


After we got home, we relaxed for a little while before heading out to do the neighborhood thing.  It was much chillier - downright cold - so we didn't plan to go far.  Just a few token houses.  Well, Abby (and I) were having so much fun, we decided to make a loop around our block.  She did so very well.  She had the hang of it and would say trick or treat, pick out her candy (she grew increasingly indecisive), say thank you and wave bye-bye.
ready to go 

patiently waiting



Kyle and I enjoyed watching her learn and experience this kinda crazy tradition.  Her face was full of wonderment, confusion, happiness, and uncertainty all at once.  I'd forgotten how much fun trick or treating can be - and when people open their doors to a 22 month old bumblebee- they're always happy to see you. :)

So, we came home as the cold was getting to us.  Abby had a nice dinner of a yummy greek salad.  Olives, tomatoes, and feta are among her favorite foods.  I love that.


After dinner, Abby wanted some "more trick or treats?" meaning she wanted some candy from her basket.  By the way, after we got home, she carried her little bucket around for about 15 minutes and would not part with it.  :)

but, because I'm a mean mom - I decided she didn't need any candy before bed. 
I gave her an apple instead.  
She gave me this: 
I call this photo, "the letdown"

So, our day was fantastic.  We all had a great time.  I'm walking like a little old lady today as my body lectures me about running without training and so forth.  I'm trying to make amends by feeding it some leftover candy, so hopefully that will help. ;o)  I hope everyone had a lovely day. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear No.903 - you are a champion!
Dear Abby - you are THE cutest bumble bee I have ever seen. The photo of you and your Dad standing at someone's front door was so sweet. Glad you all had a wonderful Halloween.
love
AK

*Jen* said...

That last photo cracks me up!
I let Paige have 5 M&Ms about 5 p.m. and nothing after that. Fearful of a sugar rush with a child who, like Abby, has had candy maybe 2x before :)

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

HA!!! I missed the apple picture on fb, that is possibly the most awesome Halloween picture I've ever seen.

background

counter