Friday, January 7, 2011

abbyisms

Just wanted to jot down a few abbyisms of late.  Some of these I've probably mentioned before.

- She has a few words that I kind of like better than their real-word counterparts.  I'm constantly using her words instead of the real ones and I have to catch myself.  One of them that I've mentioned before is "jumpoline"  instead of trampoline.  Ever since she tried it out at my parent's house, she's noticed them in books and talks about it on occasion.  I mean, "jumpoline" is so much more descriptive, no?  Another is "clothescases" instead of suitcases.  Again - it just makes more sense.  How many suits to really put in your suitcase anyway?  Lately, she's started calling salad dressing "salad dip"  And, really, I think that makes more sense too.  Especially for her - since she really is using it as dip.  But where does that word "dressing" come from anyway?

- I love that she's at the age where she can talk to me about things that happened during the day.  Today, after her nap, I asked her what she had for lunch today.  It took her a minute or so to get it all out, but she very clearly told me she had "raisins, and dip, and milk, and grass, and salad dip"  She calls salad "grass"  But, she'll call lettuce by it's name if it's by itself....most of the time.  Kyle and I laughed when she asked for "grass and salad dip please" at dinner the other night.

- She absorbs everything.  It's amazing to watch and observe how she learns. Just amazing.

- She is ALL about her babies right now.  She feeds them, rocks them, reads to them, changes their diapers (constantly), has tea with them, dances with them, pushes them in the stroller, puts them night-night, kisses them, shares her stickers with them, gets them dressed, feeds them, packs their diaper bags...you name it, she acts it out with her dolls.  And her dolls are not limited to just the baby dolls - she has several stuffed animals and puppets that qualify for this kind of attention too.

- I'm in no hurry to potty train, and I don't think Abby is either - but she is definitely showing more interest lately.  We're letting her take the lead.  She got a book called "Elmo's potty book" for Christmas. She likes it.  Whenever she gets to the last page, she starts cheering for Elmo and congratulating him on "going potty - Elmo's a big boy now!" Funny.

- She's been eating really well lately.  It's been great.  She'll eat basically anything with a little bit of Italian dressing to dip it in.  Tonight, she ate a bell pepper (dipped in dressing), hummus, orange slices (dipped in dressing) and toast with jelly (also dipped in dressing)  It's so gross, but I'm glad she's eating well.  Last night, we went out to a new Thai food place.  They didn't have a kid's menu, so I just shared my noodles with her.  It was a new flavor, a new kind of noodle, and she had no problem with it.  She ate it up happily.  I hope she continues to enjoy a variety of foods....at least most of the time.

- Abby likes ice cubes now and asks for them in her water.  She's also taken a bunch of white pom-poms (the little craft cotton balls) and put them with her tea set so that she can put "ice cubes" in her tea.  She also feeds the fake ice cubes to her babies.  Poor babies.

- We finally got Abby a real pillow.  It's a travel size pillow, so it's still smallish - but it's big to her and looks big in her crib.  We couldn't find a travel size pillow case, so we used the only spare pillow case we had around the house for now...Kyle's old Ninja Turtle pillow case.  Abby was quite excited about her new "big girl" pillow...but the 1/2 turtle, 1/2 people pictures on them confused her just a little.  :)  Kyle and I secretly love she now has a ninja turtle pillow in the midst of her dolls, kitties, and pink blankets.

- Yesterday we ran across an 80-90% off sale at a local FAO Shwarz store.  Score.  We got a few toys - $150 worth for $30.  One of the things we impulsively picked up was a bag of gummy bears (for .40 cents)  Abby kept asking "bite? bite? bite?"  I told her she could have ONE bite after we were done paying for it.  Except.  I was saying "Abby, we have to buy it first"  And after a while, it dawned on me that she was getting upset with me because "buy it" sounds like "bite"  She thought I was just being mean and kept teasing her, lol.  Once we switched to saying "pay for it" she said "Oh.  We pay for it.  Then get back.  Then say thank you.  Then we eat it?"
Yes.

- When Abby sees something she wants, she often asks "You want some???"  Not because she's asking US - but because that's the questions she wants US to ask HER.  It's actually kinda funny, but we're used to it now.  But, if you don't answer her right away - not only will she keep asking you the question she wants you to ask her - but she'll also start giving you the answer.  Example:
Abby sees Kyle putting some jelly on toast
A: Jelly! You want some?
K: (ignoring her)
A: "You want some???"
K: (still ignoring her)
A: "You want some Jelly please???????"
K: (nothing)
A: "You want some? Sure. Yes. Yes jelly. Sure."
K: "Oh, do you want some jelly?"
A: "ok"

Anyway, I'm sure there's a billion more I could put down here, but that's what I remember off the top of my head.  She's a fun kid.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh what a fun blog! It made my day, just picturing that adorable little face asking all those questions. We are missing that terribly now that you are all back in Boston! Great memories! And I'm SO glad the old Ninja Turtle pillowcase is still holding up for round 2!

Love you guys!

Ouma

Anonymous said...

I sure enjoyed this too. I'm kinda afraid of going to the restaurant and asking for 'grass and salad dip'. Abby is influential.

Granny

REA said...

You are so good to be writing all these things down. In the future this record will become important to Abby as well as you two. I hope that you can do the same for baby 2.0! Thanks for posting these, Laura!

Love,
Dad/Grandpa

background

counter