Wednesday, January 12, 2011

first snow ice cream

I'd never made snow ice cream before.  I guess, growing up in Arkansas, we didn't always think of these things on the rare occasions we got enough snow to make it.  But, as I was thinking about things to do with Abby on our snow day today - it came to mind.  

I was surprised to find that there were so many different recipes for it.  Some people use milk and sugar, some people used condensed milk, some people use syrup, others honey, some people use warm milk and some say it should be cold..etc etc.  We decided to keep things simple.

Snow. Milk. Sugar. Vanilla.  Mix & enjoy.

Abby helping me make our first batch. 

sprinkles were a must

Abby very much enjoyed it.  She ate about 3 bites before I tried a taste.  It was utterly inedible.  I had put way too much sugar and too much vanilla in it and it made me shiver thinking that Abby was eating (and enjoying) it.  So, we threw that batch out and decided to try again.  

Abby wore her hat, her boots, and one mitten all morning long.  She wouldn't take them off.  She told me she was getting ready to go play.
Also?  That alien shirt she's wearing is her favorite.  It glows in the dark.  She gets to wear it on extra special days...like snow days. ;)


Well, after the overloaded sugar batch, we decided to give it another go.  This one turned out much much nicer.  We used more snow, we colored it, and we let it re-freeze a bit after mixing....which gave it a better consistency too.
our colorful batch!

Abby had to sample each one...of course.


she was SO pleased.


I'll post more snow pictures later.  We got somewhere around 16-18 inches at our house I believe.  We took Abs out for a few minutes earlier today and...well...let's just say we're going to give it another try after her nap.  I think I hear people shoveling for us now, so maybe that will make things more manageable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such a good Mama.

Granny

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

I think that might be a regional thing. We get plenty of snow in Chicago and I don't know anyone who makes that. I mean, we all ate snow as kids, but to actually add stuff to it and turn it into food kind of weirds me out. I like all the colors though and it looks like a lot of fun, so I think I am being weird.

background

counter