Friday, January 21, 2011

another snow day.

This is my 4th winter in Boston and I don't believe we've ever had snow like this.  I was shocked when I learned that school had been cancelled again.  I'd read that we could expect 2-5 inches today.  Apparently, that number crept up to 8 inches or so.

Still.  This is Boston, no?  I mean, I totally understand why they closed.  When you serve a population as large and as spread out as ours is - you really don't want to risk people trying to get to school and walk to the bus stop and get home safely on unplowed roads etc etc.

But, I'd planned to get so much done today and next week is crazy super busy for me.  I'm not allowing myself to panic about next week yet...but I could.  If I let me.

Anyway, it's all spilled milk at this point because school was cancelled and I spent the day at home with Abs.  Kyle still had to go in.

We started the day with pancakes. Yum. 


After breakfast, and sending Kyle off, Abby and I decided to spend the morning working on this potty training gig.  We had one accident and 1.5 successes.  Her successful time was really the first time that's happened.  But, here's the thing y'all.  She cried the whole time.  She was so scared.  I praised and praised and encouraged her.  I even gave her m&ms.  I let her pick out all the stickers she wanted.  We called daddy to tell him what a good job she'd done.  We talked about it.  And?  After all that - she was pleased as punch with herself.

And yet.  Anytime I suggest that she try again - she shakes her head furiously and says "nononononono"

All that to say.  I don't really think she's ready for this.  So, I'm going to back off.  We'll keep talking about it and giving her opportunities to train.  But, if she doesn't want to - I'm ok with that.  I hate seeing her get so panicked about it.  I had secretly hoped she'd be trained by the time #2 got here.  That's not going to happen, but that's ok.

Anyway.

After all the potty training drama - I think Abby was worn out. I sat in her room to watch her play, and she crawled up in my lap and asked to be rocked.  This is extremely rare.  She relaxed and I rubbed her back for nearly 20 mins.  After that, she just sat with me, cuddled with me, talked to me, played with me - all while sitting in the chair.  She just wanted to be held.  She wanted to snuggle and be close.

It was pretty much awesome.

I soaked up every second of that goodness I could.  We read books, I rubbed her back again, I tickled her, and she patted the baby.  She snuggled into my shoulder again and we just sat there in silence and rocked.  I watched the snow fall outside and just breathed in as much Abby as I could.

We sat in that glider for over an hour together.  I tried to take a few pictures so that I could remember the moment.  We were still in our PJs...I did mention today was a snow day, right? ;)

she stayed like this for 20 mins while I rubbed her back.

Abby wanted to hold my hand after noticing and kissing "mommy's tiny boo-boo"

 snuggles

We eventually made our way downstairs and had lunch.  Then Abby took a nap.  When she got up, we decided to make cookies together.  That was fun. I took pictures, of course.

she was drumming.  

my big helper

and yum. :)


Abby decided to play while the cookies baked.  
Yes, she's wearing her mittens, she loves them.
She also told me that she was "in the oven"...so maybe they were oven-mitts...

finished product.  They have oatmeal in them...so they're healthy. :)

Kyle got home and we all enjoyed dinner together before putting Abs down for the night.  Now I'm going to put my feet up and settle in for a movie I think.  It was a good day, even if unexpected and even if it makes my next week crazy.  I was happy to have the chance to spend the time with Abby.

3 comments:

*Jen* said...

Paige has wanted to rocked lately too — and I savor it. It's sooo sweet, isn't it?
Sounds like you enjoyed your day :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, you never know. Abby might wake up one random day and decide she wants to pee in the big girl potty. Kids can be funny that way. Best of luck to ya!

~Leah

Anonymous said...

I would love to spend OUR snow days at YOUR house.....they sound like so much fun! Mmmmm to the cookies! And hooray for M & M's and bribery! It's a start and will come together soon. No worries.

Love to all my snow bunnies in Beantown!

Ouma

background

counter