Sunday, January 23, 2011

sickly

My poor baby is sickly.

Not really sure what it is - or IF it's anything other than a cold.  But, it makes her pitiful.

Her nose is running constantly.  Her eyes are red.  She has a wet cough.  She's not eating much.  She probably has a slight fever. It's just sad.

Tonight, she only ate a few bites of pears for dinner...and a little medicine.  Then, she asked to go upstairs and rock.  So, that's what we did.

After we'd rocked for a little bit, we went about the bedtime routine.  While I was changing her, she started coughing - but because she was laying down, she gagged.  This made her cough more.  The next thing I know, she's throwing up.  Now, she hadn't eaten much, so that was good...in a sense.  But, the poor thing still threw up 3 or 4 times between gagging and heaving.

The whole time, I'm just rubbing her back, telling her it's ok, trying to wipe the tears off her face while minimize/contain the mess she's making.

And Abby?  She was just scared.  She was bawling.  Gasping for breath.  Big tears rolling down her face.

And with the first breath she gets under control, do you know what she says to me?  She says "oh, excuse me!"  She said it through broken sobs and crying.  If you can imagine.  The thought that she felt the need to say "excuse me" after that broke my heart.  Really, it did.  It was the saddest thing.

With her second breath, she squeaked out, "rock?"

So, that's what we did.

We rocked, and I read her some stories while she calmed down and all but fell asleep on my chest.  I gave her some more medicine, rubbed her down with vicks, and rocked her some more.  Eventually, I had to put her down, and when I put her in the crib, she didn't move.  She just looked at me with watery red half-opened eyes.  Poor baby.  I didn't want to leave her.  But, I knew I needed to let her try to sleep.

I've already been back once to calm her down from waking up crying.  Hopefully, she starts feeling well enough to get some rest soon.

I do not enjoy it when she doesn't feel well.  At all. :(

Send us happy get better thoughts.  She's crying again, so I'm off.

4 comments:

Bethany said...

praying for everyone right now Laura!

hannah said...

Oh Laura. It's so hard having a sick baby. Coughing is the hardest for me. I hate listening to it all night. I just cry and pray. Over and over again.

I'm praying for her and you.

Billie Jo said...

Praying for you and your sweet Abby. I know you both need your rest. Love you.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sad that Abby is so sick. I'm praying that she will bounce back quickly. I love you guys.

Granny

background

counter