Thursday, January 20, 2011

a few thoughts

I've mentioned this before. 

When Abby was born, maybe before we even left the hospital, I was holding her and Kyle and I were just staring at her...taking her in.  Without looking away from Abby, I said to Kyle, "Isn't it weird to think that she's the oldest?"  Without looking away from her, he said "yeah, it is"

We've known Abby would not only be our first, but our oldest child since before she was born.  I shouldn't say known.  I should say hoped.  Because you can only plan so far.

I don't know exactly what to expect from Abs when this second little one joins us.  I figure, for the most part, she'll behave as most children her age behave when they get a new sibling.  That's to say, they will be shy and excited, confused and interested, threatened yet protective.  I think we'll go through phases of typical acting out behavior - but I think, really, she's going to do so well. 

Abby is going to be such a good big sister.  

We've started talking more and more about the baby.  I still don't think she "gets it" 100%.  But, she knows that the extra room is "baby's room" and the toys and things in there belong to baby.  She'll kiss my belly - and pat it - and even tickle the baby regularly. We've been practicing with her own baby dolls.   How to be gentle - how to be careful.  Sometimes, while she's eating supper, I'll carry and hold one of her dolls while I cook or clean or just talk to Abby.  This mostly amuses her.

And Abby takes care of her babies too.  She's constantly saying "oooh, the baby is SO cute!  Sweet baby, awww."  She feeds them...constantly, and mostly they get hot chocolate.  ;)  In fact, hot chocolate, has replaced tea, water, and milk at Abby's tea parties lately.  But, as any good mother would, she always tells me "baby drink hot chocolate! But too hot, so cool off, now baby drink it. Not too hot now" and then she blows on the teacup to show me that she's making sure it's not too hot.  Sometimes she puts cotton balls in the hot chocolate - she pretends they're ice cubes.  

Abs reading a story to her baby

And a note to this new baby too:  You and your sister are going to be the best of friends.  Not always - sometimes you will fight and argue and be jealous of each other...but that's all part of the journey.  I am so excited that you will have each other.  I am very much looking forward to watching your sibling-hood develop.  It's going to be a lot of fun. 

Anyway, these were just a few random thoughts floating around this head of mind today.  Wanted to get them out before they dissipated. 

Have an excellent Thursday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew that I wanted children. You are in for some wonderful times.

Granny

*Jen* said...

Very sweet. I can't wait to see Abby be a big sister via your blog.
And — Paige has that same baby doll. Her name is "Sophie" in our house ;)

background

counter