Monday, January 3, 2011

the catch up post.

Ok.  Here we go.  This is the post where I dump as much of the stuff I've been storing in my head for the past week out.  This has to happen before I can get back to regular blogging, because right now there is SO much I want to remember and document, that it becomes overwhelming.

So, let's see. Christmas break in Arkansas was great.

I'll start with the flights down there.  Abby did wonderfully.  She really is a good traveler.  On one of our flights, I had this moment that I want to remember.  Abs and I sat next to an older woman.  We chatted as you do with airplane folk and she was very nice.  I was getting Abby settled into her seat and as the flight progressed, Abby was just being so good.  We had a snack, we read a book, we did a little coloring.  Then?  I told Abby it was nap time.  I gave her her blankets and glowie and helped her settle in against me.  We said our bedtime prayer and before I knew it, she was fast asleep.  The woman beside glanced over at Abby sleeping and gave me this look that said "good job, mama"

And then I had this moment.  I thought to myself, "whew, good thing Abby is being good, this lady thinks I'm an awesome mom"  Then I had another thought.  I thought, "I am an awesome mom"  As quickly as I thought it, I flooded it with qualifiers, caveats, asterisks, and exceptions.  But, for a very brief moment, maybe one of the first moments ever?  I truly gave myself a little credit for Abby.  Now, I still believe that Abby is a good kid mostly because of her born nature and just a tiny bit because of how we've raised her.  I really can't take too much credit.  But, I wanted to remember that moment nonetheless.  I was proud - of her and of me.

Moving on.

Abby thinks airplanes are awesome.  I could write 20 posts about the cute things she does.  She gets so excited when we take off.  She says, "mama! woah! we're going really fast!"  And as the plane lifts up she says "Blast off!!!!!!"  I dunno, it's cute.  She's now been on 25 flights in her 24 months on Earth.  She's got it down pat now.  She will tell you "We go on airplane.  Fly away.  Wait for ALL the people to sit down.  Buckle seat belts.  Then Blast off.  Then we be quiet (she always whispers that part).  And have snack.  Nap too.  Airplane go high!  Go fast!"

We got to Arkansas safe and sound and spent the next week visiting family and friends all over.  It was a whirlwind, but a happy one.  We had 3 christmas celebrations on Christmas day.  Of course Abby made out like a bandit.  She was so spoiled - and she loved it.  We've been playing with new toys since we got back.

Christmas Morning 

I mean, seriously, she's 2 going on 12, no??

my family - candid - but happy.

Our families also put together a low key baby shower for baby #2.  Wanna know what will force you to think of a pregnancy as a impending real life kid?  A baby shower.  ;)  We got some awesome gifts from our family and things that will really help us out.  Kyle and I both felt so blessed - especially considering the time of year - the day after Christmas to have so many people who were willing to have, yet one more get together for us.  Abby had a blast - she was very happy and surprised when Santa made a house call to hand deliver a Christmas Bear to her.  We're a lucky family to know Santa so well!  He even came on his first day off!


Santa!


We spent a few days in Pine Bluff with my family.  Abby made cookies with Granny, played with my siblings, jumped on her first trampoline (or "jumpoline" as she, and we, have started calling them) and overall just took it easy.  It was nice.  After that, we headed back to Conway and spent the last few days with Kyle's family.

Cookies with Granny

Stomping around mom and dad's place.  :)


Her first "jumpoline"


Abby went to build-a-bear for the first time and we all had a surprisingly fun time stuffing animals.  Abby got a cat - officially named "Meow Kitty Cat" per her request.  And Abby helped make a teddy bear for the new baby - her gift to her new sibling.  Sweet.  We saw our friends Leah and Justin and their little baby Cady - and had fun visiting with them over feeding babies, wraglin' toddlers, and trying to take pictures that weren't blurry.  :)  We visited several other people over the next few days and spent time with Kyle's family in between.  It was all very nice.

Her build-a-bear spoils. 

Abby is/was obsessed with the cats and dogs at the various houses.  Turns out, there is nothing she loves more than playing with the dogs and petting (and chasing, and finding, and holding) the kitties.  She was really pretty sweet with them - appropriately gentle, and the cats eventually got used to her being around enough to let her pet them.  Usually, the first thing and last thing she wanted to do every day was "find the kitties"

One day, it was like 70 degrees in Arkansas.  Crazy.  We walked outside and Abby said, "Oh my!  Too hot!"  Earlier in the week - we found her tearing up tissue paper into a big pile.  When asked what she was doing, she said, 'We need snow!"

...my little new englander.

Reading with Ouma


Playing with Auntie Brittany at Jump Zone.  
Flying down an inflatable slide - can you see how happy she is??


Our New Year's Eve treat.  :) 


After lots of family and friend time, lots of good (GOOD) food and visiting old stomping grounds, it was time to fly home to Boston.  Kyle worked his airline magic and got all three of us upgraded on both flights back.  That was quite nice.  Abby was, again, a perfect little traveler.  We played with stickers most of the time.  When I told her she should go to sleep, she said, "ok, mama"  And snuggled in for a 2 hour nap.  It was the easiest travel trip Kyle and I have ever taken.  We made it door to door in 7 hours - no hitches, delays, or waits.  Just straight through.

pretty.


The only downside was that as soon as we got our suitcases upstairs, we both started feeling bad.  We're pretty sure we both got food poisoning from some of that snobby 1st class fruit they fed us.  We were both very sick for a night.  Poor Abs had to fend for herself.  Literally - she went and got her own plate, and poured herself a plate of yogurt bites for dinner.  (Parental fail.  See?)  Luckily, the next day, we were both much much better.

And now, here we are.  I start back to work in the morning.  We have a new nanny who started today.  Lots of new beginnings and changes to look forward to this year.

Now that I've gotten this post out of the way, I'll be able to focus on the more detailed aspects of our day to day and blog more regularly again.  I hope everyone had a blessed Christmas and a Happy New Year.

I can't wait to see what 2011 brings for us. ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you guys had such a wonderful trip. I know you both already know how blessed you are and I'm blessed for knowing you. It was great visiting over lunch. Even though most of our time and attention was spent on the little ones. Love you and have a great year!

~Leah

Kristen said...

I know I say this every time you post a pic but once again I have to say

Best.Santa.Ever.

Anonymous said...

Awesome Mom - yes

Awesome wife - yes

Awesome School Psycologist - yes

Awesome photographer - yes

Awesome DAUGHTER - Yes

hey maybe there is a pattern here.

Granny

background

counter