Monday, January 31, 2011

Abby's kitchen

So.  Right now, Abby's room contains her crib, a glider, and a changing table.  Those are the main pieces, and all three of those major pieces are going to be donated to the nursery when we get around to setting that up.  Which means, poor Abs is going to be left with a pretty bare room. 

I started thinking about this last fall.  Starting mid november, I decided I would start looking into little kitchen sets.  Abby has lots of play food and pots and pans and she loves them.  But, she doesn't really have a kitchen.  I mean, she's made due.  She uses her radio as a fridge (things go on top when they need to cool), she uses her bookshelf as an oven/stove, and she uses a basket as a sink.  On one hand, I'm proud of her creativity...on the other hand?  It's a little sad. :)

So, anyway.  I started keeping an eye out on craigslist for a set I liked.  I decided pretty early on that I didn't want a big plastic set.  Nothing personal - I just really have a big soft spot for nice wooden toys.  Unfortunately, even on craigslist, nice wooden kitchen sets are often out of my price range. 

Let's fast forward through three months of checking online everyday.  Last night, not one, but three different sets show up.  I ended up having my choice of two of them.  And I went to pick up my choice today.  I'm so pleased with it. 

sorry it's just a phone shot.

The lady was really nice.  Her girls just outgrew it at 5 and 7 years old.  She paid close to $200 for the set new and I got both for $60.  So, while I don't consider that cheap - I still consider it a good investment.  The pieces are clean, well made, sturdy, and...pretty (which is what really matters of course).  The lady threw in several bags of food/dishes and a brand new blender play set too.  I really like that it's so simple.  I feel like that somehow encourages imagination, y'know?

Abby flipped her lid.  She was so so so excited.  She played with it nonstop all night. We had a really fun time.

inside the fridge...um (slash) pantry.  Abby made sure the ice cream went in the freezer. :)


Stove top, with some "lemon and ice cube soup" cooking

making cookies

She went and got her baby and said 
"Here baby - look at the soup cooking!"

letting the cookies cool off.

We played with the set for about 2 hours, and I had to pry her away.  It will be a little while before I can really set it up in her room the way I have planned in my head - but it'll get there.  In the meantime, she's perfectly happy with it no matter where we put it.

I took a video of Abby playing.  I like to keep blog videos under 60 seconds, and this one exceeds that.  But,  I'm a little too lazy to figure out how to trim it right now and, eh, it's fine.  I do apologize for how ragmuffin Abby looks in the video.  It was right before bed time and she's wearing clothes that are too small with hair that is too untamed.  But, again, it's all good.



Ok, and this one I'm only adding for the first few seconds....because it's SO Abby.  Watch - as she puts the cookies back in the oven - she stops and has to straighten the tray.  That's her in a nutshell.
I love my kid.

4 comments:

Bobbi Sharp said...

That is so AWESOME!!!!

jennybee said...

Beautiful. Abby's making me hungry!

Anonymous said...

This gives me such a happy feeling. She is so precious with her kitchen. I love wooden toys too.

Granny

Cari said...

Sooo sweet! I heart Craigs list.

BTW, an app called Video Edit (it does cost) is a very easy app that lets you trim videos and even put videos together to make one video. Its a cool app. :)

background

counter