Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Fire


I drove to my school this morning and turn the corner to drive down the one-way street in front only to find that it is being blocked by 6 firetrucks.  Smoke is coming from the roof of the building, and some firefighters were walking around on the roof and hooking up hoses.  There didn't seem to be an air of panic, so I drove around the block, parked, and walked up to the school.  Apparently, some generator caught fire while the kids were eating breakfast and the school was evacuated.  

So, that was different.  

I spent the first several hours of my school day helping to entertain and calm a group of kindergartners on a sidewalk a block away.  They were so cute....telling eachother stories about the fire... "yeah, I saw it too!  It was a fire and it was as big as the sky and went all the way up to space!"  Nobody corrected them and told them that the fire was contained to a small area in the front of the school and did not burn through the ceiling. 

As the environmentalist cleared the air as breathable and we were allowed back into the building, the fire trucks pulled away and all the little kids stood up and clapped for them.  It was classic, and it made me happy.
The school smelled like smoke for the rest of the day and it made me feel sick, but c'est la vie.  Life goes on.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really, you felt sick????? Are you sure it was the fire?
Y.

background

counter