Saturday, April 12, 2008

Jettison

I left the apartment this morning just before 7am so that I would have plenty of time to find the testing center for the MTEL (Massachusetts Test for Educator Licensure).  Now, last night I realized I didn't have my all-important admission ticket and actually had to call around to friends to see if anybody knew the address of the center.  Long story short, I got the address and they eventually let me in without a ticket.  

Anyway, so I left the apartment and it's pouring down rain and I'm already in a bitter mood about having to take this test, because I think I'm a literate person and I think that for anybody who went through grad school, that alone should be proof enough that I can read and write.  Did I mention that it cost me 175 dollars to proove that I can read??  Bitter bitter bitter.   I think the weather was reflecting my thoughts about the next few hours.  There is no parking (surprise).  I'm weaving through one-way streets in the rain with about a million other cars all fighting for some illegal parking spot somewhere.  I found a parking spot a few blocks away and put Kyle's handicap placard in my seat in hopes of warding off any potential ticketers.  Grabbed my umbrella and was on my way.

Fast forward.  Testing has started (45 mins late).  The person next to me is constantly blowing their nose loudly and unapologetically.  It's gross.  The person behind me has her feet on my chair and is shaking her leg so I can feel every vibration...and she's coughing.  I just wanted to get done.

I had 4 hours to complete the test and was done in 2.  Let's all hope that I didn't miss some huge section in the middle.  On the vocab section, there was only one word I didn't know...Jettison.  Apparently, Laura just missed this one her whole life.  Ironically, it means: to abandon or discard (something or someone that is no longer wanted).  Like the MTEL.  

Well, I finished up, and I feel ok about it.  It will be severely embarrassing if I don't pass.  I got out of there as fast as I could.  

As I exited the building I took a deep breath of relief and saw that the rain had cleared, the air was warm, and sunshine fell on my face.  Maybe the weather really was reflecting how I felt. 

oh, and I didn't get a ticket.  :)

No comments:

background

counter