Tuesday, April 8, 2008

what a week.

I have the privilege of working with a wide range of people in my work here in Boston.  There is so much diversity, and I enjoy that.  There is also, however, so much need.  Sometimes, during weeks like this one, it just seems that there are more sad stories than happy ones.  This week, I have heard stories of abuse, neglect, homelessness, violence, gang activity, drugs, and depression...all for the same elementary school child.  Then, there were other kids, high school kids and elementary alike with stories that just make you want to take these kids home and give them a good meal and hugs.  You just want to show them what it feels like to be safe and loved.

The good news is, while some of these kiddos have gone through so much and need so much still, I have the opportunity to be part of the solution.  I can't solve all their problems, and I can't actually take them home with me.  But, I can give them the best services that are within my power to give.  I can make sure they are set up with services they need to improve their physical, emotional, and psychological health.  And I'm glad to be one of the good guys.

It also makes you appreciate the success stories and the families that are able to make it.  A kid at my High School just got accepted to Harvard.  Which is a pretty big deal...too bad he found out on April fool's day and nobody believed him.  Poor kid.  He actually made his mom bring his acceptance letter to school.  Those kinds of things make me smile though.  Not everyone is down and out.  

So, I guess this is just some ramblidge to remind you to be happy if you're lucky enough to come from a safe and loving environment, not everyone is so lucky, so count your blessings.  I am.

1 comment:

hannah said...

have you ever heard of story people? go to www.storypeople.com and search for a print called "one of us".

you'll love it.

and when you read it, you'll understand what i mean when i say it really is good to be "one of us".

God knew just what he was doing by sending you both to boston. the kids are so lucky to have you. seriously...they are.

thanks for reminding me of all my blessings. i miss you. and your funny dreams. with grand-daddy long legs...or crickets...or whatever it was...:)

background

counter