Wednesday, November 4, 2009

sweetness

a few things I wanted to document.

We had a nanny come and interview on Monday. She brought her 6 month old daughter with her, and while we introduced ourselves, Abby and the baby got to know each other as well. Let me pause here. Abby and the baby. Meaning - Abby wasn't the baby. She looked so very very old compared to this 6 month old. It took me aback - it really did. So, anyway, I was interested to see what Abby would do. She looked at the girl for a while, and then looked at me. She pointed at the girl and then she got up and leaned in and kissed her right on the lips.

it was the sweetest thing ever. And she didn't even do her usual big open mouthed codfish kiss - it was a cute little pucker. I must have reacted well, because she kept doing it after that. She was so gentle and so sweet. I was so proud of her. :)

Although, eventually, I had to give Abs a little lesson about when too much kissing becomes a problem since she was just lovin' on the little girl so much.

Later that night, we were both worn out. As I rocked her while she drank her bottle, she felt extra comfortable. We both nearly fell asleep before she was finished with it. When she did finally empty the bottle, she handed it to me like always and then - like always - turned on her side and buried her face into my shirt. Usually, she stays that way while I rock her, but she rarely falls asleep. That night, she went right to sleep in my arms.

It was so peaceful. I thought about putting her in her crib as soon as I saw that she was asleep, but decided against it. I started thinking about how numbered these moments are and how soon it will be before she's not drinking any bottles and is too big to fall asleep in my arms. So, instead, I just held her. I probably sat there for another 40 mins just listening to her breathe little baby breaths.

I can't believe how fast this has all gone. More than ever, I want to cherish every single moment. I just know that the next time I blink she'll be all grown up.

3 comments:

Brandy@YDK said...

It makes me sad thinking about how fleeting these moments are.

*Jen* said...

very sweet. and, yes, I feel these moments slipping by, too.

Anonymous said...

... so many of those sweet little baby moments do stay with you, but they are nonverbal. Hearing of these Abby times, they come back. When you are older Laura, you will be all the more content because of these sweet times.


Granny

background

counter