Sunday, January 25, 2009

deal with it

After church today, Kyle and I made the decision that we would attempt to resume what had become a Sunday tradition before Abby came - our sunday afternoon burritos.  

We just happened to fall into that habit after moving here.  We found a place we liked and every week - or almost every week - we would go and get our chicken or steak burritos.  So good.  In the summer, we would walk there or walk back (a little over 2 miles from our apartment) and enjoyed the time conversing on our way.  It's been nice.  Anyway, today was our first sunday back at the burrito place.  

Well, on the way over, I heard Abby making noises that left no question that she had successfully filled her diaper.  I told Kyle that I would change her at the restaurant while he ordered.  So, we get there, I take Abs out of her car seat and into the small bathroom - which luckily had a changing table.  

I put her down and then I notice - she has completely blown out of her diaper.  She was wearing a one piece footie snapsuit thing, the inside & outside of which is now half saturated with her latest mess. "Ok," I think "let's do this"  

I unsnap the lower half of her outfit and commence to cleaning her.  This is when I discover I have 3 wipes left in the pack I carry in my purse. 3.  Well, this was more than a 3-wipe job.  She needed everything cleaned from her toes to midway up her back.  With the help of some paper towels, I manage to get her skin cleaned with a new diaper on and one wipe left.  But, now what?  I can't put her outfit back on her - it's fithy.  I can't take it off of her - she'd be naked and it's freezing outside.  

I almost always carry an extra onsie with me - but not today.  We almost always carry a blanket with us - but not today.  I just looked at the mess for a good 30 seconds thinking "now what?"  I heard the voice of Tim Gunn say "make it work, Laura"  

I rolled up my sleeves, grabbed a bunch of paper towels and set to cleaning out the inside of her snapsuit the best I could.  I then lined the inside with more paper towels and then used our burpcloth on top of those.  I put one leg back into the clean side and left her other leg dangling out while I snapped up the dirty side - now filled with paper towels and a burp cloth.  The result was the freakish appearance that Abby had 3 legs.  I Really wish I'd taken a picture.  

So, probably 15 mins after I entered, I leave the bathroom to find Kyle waiting on us with a look on his face that asked, "everything ok?"  I explained to him why Abby now looked like a 3 legged mutant- baby and we put her back in her carseat, covered her,  gave her the paci and rocked her to sleep.  

Then we had burritos.  

The scariest part of this whole ordeal is how it didn't really phase me.  A year ago, the idea of cleaning up a massive amount of poo with only 2 wipes and the dilemma of no clean outfit to change her into may have made me lose my appetite for burritos.  Nope, not today.  It's just "one of those things" that you deal with.  

oh, motherhood.  

6 comments:

Lauren McKnight said...

Wow...you are a rockstar. I'm completely in awe of you right now...

Anonymous said...

Well,as I have often told you - Go Make a Memory.

Granny in Love

hannah said...

i love this. isn't it awesome how we can completely adapt to our new surroundings...how we really can "make it work".

tim gunn would be proud. he would put his right hand up to his face, look down at you from his glasses and say, "laura...i'm stunned. fabulous. just fabulous".

Ben and Bethany said...

atta girl.

and just so you know, they only have blowouts when you're running behind or don't have the proper supplies.

Anonymous said...

LOL...but I bet you make sure you have backup outfits and lots of wipes on future trips!

Anonymous said...

That was from me: Kaylee

background

counter