Saturday, January 31, 2009

kickin' again

Well today was my first day back to taekwondo after a rather long hiatus.

While pregnant, I was able to keep working out up until about 8 months.  Of course, as my belly grew, I had to modify more and more, but I was there, and I always enjoyed it.  After 8 months, things got busy and neither me or Kyle went to class for about a month - and then of course Abby came...

So, now, here I am 7 weeks postpartum, and I am dying to work out.  I am so eager to start trying to get my body back.  I'm not one of the lucky ones who is back to their pre-pregnancy a week after the baby is born.  Oh no, I'm giving myself a year.  By New Years 2010, I want to be at my ideal.  I mean, it would be nice to not be wearing maternity jeans this summer, y'know?  I know it will be a lot of work - but it'll be worth it.   And taekwondo is a Great tool to help me along.  

Here's an observation about myself: I can get up and go down to our gym and work out for 30 mins or an hour or whatever - but I hate it (even though I also really do want to be there, make sense?).  But, if I have somebody pushing me to work out - I can do so much more.  It's like working out for my own benefit isn't good enough - I need to be meeting somebody else's standards.  This is why taekwondo is so good.  If one of my instructors asks me to do something, or is watching me, or is in the same room - I push myself so much more than if I were working alone.  Even if my instructors aren't around - there are always lower ranks, or kids that are watching.  I guess I just need an audience to push myself to my max.  

Anyway.  We've decided that Saturdays are a good day to make the trek up to the school for their morning class.  I mean, with Abby we're up anyway, so why not go train?  It was so great to be back in uniform.  I've lost so much strength, flexibility, etc...and it feels a little strange to be working out not-pregnant, but it still felt really good.  And it was good to visit with the friends we've made up here too.  Our instructors are amazing people - the kind of people that make your life better just by knowing them.  

So hopefully with going once or twice a week (in addition to my normal gym visits) - I'll start to get back into shape.  Keep me accountable!

Here's a pic that Kyle snapped after class - as you can tell by my sweaty face.  :)

3 comments:

Billie Jo said...

Mommy in a taekwondo uniform. Love it! Can't wait till we can teach Abster the ropes!

Anonymous said...

Go kick! I'm proud of you!

Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey, I did see a comment you left me that said you were a black belt too! Awesome. I got mine in the more modern stuff. Lots of kickboxing. I loved it. I was also the fitness intructor for the fitness kickboxing. But now we have moved back to Dallas so I need to find a new place. Finding a good dojo is tough though! too bad we dont live close, I would love to help you meet your goals! That is what I did as the fitness lady. Well, I am rooting for you and yes, it is nice to be back working out after the baby thing. Seriously!

background

counter