Tuesday, January 13, 2009

stress.

Starting in November of 2008, I had to start repaying my student loans.  A necessary evil.  

During my grace period - the 6 months before repayment - Kyle and I made sure we knew how much everything would be.  With the addition of a new baby, we wanted to make sure 0ur budget was do-able.  

When we added up my total loans, they were less than we expected.  We couldn't figure out why, but after calling around with no answers, we decided to just go with it.  Well, surprise surprise, today we found out why.  

Here's the short version:  A big chunk of my loans went to a company with which I have had no contact.  They, apparently, had been mailing me things, but because these things were addressed with my maiden name, they were being sent back as undeliverable.  This means that we never received any communication from this loan company.  Ever. Not. one. word. 

This upsets me because we actually tried to find these "missing" loans.  We're responsible people, and now we have a rather unexpected new expense - honestly through, I feel, no fault of our own.  This new loan, by the way, is almost a hundred dollars MORE than my other TWO loan payments combined.  More than pocket change.  

Of course, this comes after adding the expenses of a new baby, and after I have decided to take a month of unpaid leave, and after all our Christmas expenses.  It's just...stressful.  

Kyle and I made a new budget tonight.  It's tight.  Really tight.  But, we can do it.  I think.  I know a budget seems to be a silly thing to ask prayers for - but, I'd actually appreciate it.  I need the discipline.

I have a little plaque that my mom gave me before I moved away.  Its small and simply says "the Lord will provide"  We've often said this was our family motto - since so many times we didn't know how we would make things work.  I look to it often, actually.  I believe that its true.  And, it almost always brings me comfort.  I try to remember to look at it when things like this happen.

So, anyway, I'd appreciate it if you kept us in your thoughts as we, once again, try to work things out.

3 comments:

Lauren McKnight said...

You got it! And the Lord DOES provide. And it's okay to ask for it. Don't you hate all the beauracracy b.s. that comes with bills?

hannah said...

will do. and yes, He does provide. and i agree with lauren, it is perfectly acceptable to ask for it.

and if you want, you could always just not pay them ;)

isn't that totally something i would say? if i called my dad right now and asked for him to write some lawyer-ly letter to that stupid company explaining what happened to ya'll...he'd say, "okay, i'll do that. and...tell her to stop worrying about it. and just not pay them."

that is exactly what he would say. like that time i was worried about a zoology test in college. he told me to stop worrying, stop studying. instead, his exact words were, "just go drink a beer. or two."

i'm not even a drinker.

anyway, i'll be praying for you. (something about "praying" coming after "drinker" doesn't look right :)

but you know what i mean. this too shall pass....

Anonymous said...

You know Laura, that plaque was Mimi's plaque and maybe it helped her get through the great depression. Pray for me too. I love you.

Linda

background

counter