Thursday, January 8, 2009

sleep

I've mentioned several times what a good sleeper Abby seems to be.  Of course, it's not like I have a lot to compare it to - so maybe my expectations were just really off.  Either way, I've been pretty pleased with our set up.  



The Abster eats every 2-3 hours.  Sometimes 4.  We've gone as long as 5 - but that's rare.  So, at night, that is no different.  I usually feed her at midnight, 3am, and 6am.  Which really means that I'm just getting up once during the night.  Sometimes I get up at 6 for the day and sometimes I sleep in.  During school & work, Kyle and I rarely go to bed before midnight.  Kyle - rarely before 2am.  I get up around 6 anyway - so it doesn't feel like a lot has changed.  The best part is that after she's done nursing, she is pretty good about going right back to sleep in her crib...well, her pack-n-play.  I still haven't found the courage to let her sleep in her own room yet.  I'll get there.

We love watching her sleep - she looks so peaceful.  She'll make little puppy noises and funny facial expressions.  They're great.  We wonder what she dreams about.  


Well, for all the good nights we've had, last night was the first off one.  After our 3am feeding, which ended at about 4am - Abby was just not feeling well I guess.  Maybe it was gas, maybe she was too full, maybe she was cold.  I don't know.  All I know is that every time I climbed back in bed, she started crying.  I got up and out of bed maybe 20 times - each time hoping that she was asleep for good.  Eventually, it was time for her to eat again.  At that point, I decided to just keep her in the bed with us instead of putting her back in her bed.  

Of course, this worked like a charm.  She was cuddled with me, warm, in our bed, full, and happy.  I was tired from staying up more than usual with her - so we slept in.  She stayed in the bed with me for just over 5 hours (with one feeding in the middle)  I will admit- I loved having her sleeping with me.  Loved it.  I'm also worried about starting a habit that I shouldn't.  I want her to sleep in her own bed and to be happy with that.  I don't want her to be dependent on sleeping with me.  No matter how much I secretly want to tuck her in by my side.  


I told myself that I wouldn't "let" her sleep with us until after 6am.  Ha.  We'll see how that works out.  I'm lucky that I'm not working right now and have the luxury of sleeping in or staying up late.  But, I'm all too aware that I'll need her to be as close to a constant schedule as possible when I do go back - and that that will be sooner than I think.  

Anyway, hopefully she'll be less fussy tonight.  I think she'll be fine.  She's a good baby. ;-)

2 comments:

hannah said...

i'll tell you what so many told me...NEVER EVER EVER feel guilty about doing what you want to do. what you feel you should do as a mother.

you have no idea what this adventure means when, at the beginning of the pregnancy you start with all the, "oh, my child won't ever do that..."

i've eaten so many words.

pratt is sleeping through the night now. well, some nights. but there are nights when he wakes at 330. at that point, i feed him and put him right beside me. and he sleeps till 7. i love every minute of it.

yeah, i might start a habit that will be hard to break...but they're just babies for so long. you'll realize this soon...if you haven't already.

so don't feel guilty about ANYTHING you do. you love that little girl. you're the mommy. follow your heart.

Kelly Dement said...

hey send me that one with the hands by her face please

background

counter