Friday, January 30, 2009

sleep schedules

I'm optimistic.  

I've been reading several books about baby sleeping habits (Thanks to my friend Hannah for recommending one, and thanks to my friend Kathy for sending them to me!)  The book I like the best so far is called "Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child"  - the one Hannah suggested.  I like it because the author takes a very scientific approach to sleeping.  He explains the chemistry and the biology of sleep habits in babies - he sites research, and this style appeals to me.  

Now, I KNOW that every baby is different and that some approaches and theories just don't work for certain babies, but I swear, Abby is following this book like clockwork.  I mean, she's really been a pretty easy baby for the most part, so we probably shouldn't be too surprised.  I try to maintain a skeptics eye and an open mind, but I'm secretly excited that she seems to be taking to the sleep/wake schedule so well. 

Last night, we put her down to bed around 7:30.  She woke up at midnight to eat.  Normally, she'll wake up again at 3 to eat, but not last night.  Last night I woke up (automatically) at 3am and found her laying in her pack-n-play - awake.  She had wiggled out of her swaddle, out from under the blanket, almost wiggled out of her sleep gown, and had just about wiggled herself into the corner of the bassinet.  She looked a little annoyed at her current position, but wasn't fussing about it.  She just had that look on her face that said "Hmm, now how did I manage this?"

So, I bundled her back up and she was asleep again.  She didn't eat!  She didn't wake again until almost 6am.  This means she went almost 6 hours without food, and while she was awake for a while, I never would have known it had I not been awake anyway.  I'm hopeful that this is the beginning of longer sleep trends.  

Abby gets up at 7am.  She naps at 9, 1, and 4 (ideally, sometimes we have to modify).  Today, at around 8:50am, she starts yawning (right on cue) - I put her down and she slept for three and half hours!  Now, when I put her down, I usually expect an hour.  So,  in that hour I try to be as productive as possible.  Today - by the time she woke up, I had the house cleaned, laundry done, dishes were washed, e'mails were organized, bathroom was cleaned, trash taken out etc... I even started looking for cookie recipes.  

Oh, and because a few people have asked - no, she is not sleeping in her crib at night yet.  She's still in the pack-n-play in our room.  But, she does nap in her crib during the day.  She's not picky.  

Anyway, it was nice to have such a productive day - and it was nice that Abby slept so well.  She went down for her other naps too and is going on 4 hours of straight sleep now.  I'm pleased.  I look forward to reading more of the book and helping Abs develop good sleep habits if I can.  One review of the book I read said, "It was like all I needed was for somebody to explain to be that babies shouldn't be awake for more than 2 hours at a time"  That's true for us too.  It's made a big difference to have regular nap time.  I hope it continues to develop like its "supposed" to.

and yes, I am aware that by posting this I'm jinxing everything.- Abby will probably never sleep again...  :)  

4 comments:

hannah said...

you aren't jinxing everything laura! that book is just A.MAZING!

pratt is now sleeping 12 or 13 hours without food. and when he does wake, he's so happy. he doesn't scream from his crib anymore. seriously, i don't know why it works..but it does!

so, so excited that it seems to be working for you! hang in there. he says that after a few days of success, the kiddos will have a bad night or two. this totally reminded me of dr. murphy and his intervention work in school. same thing happens, remember? and that's when the teachers or parents always say, "oh well...told ya...wouldn't work!"

keep on plugging...you're doing great!

Anonymous said...

Hey...well I guess I need to get this book! Hannah told me the main points....I really dont like to read. Thats bad I know, but I cannot make myself sit down and read much. I dont let her stay awake more than two hours...and that does help. Maybe I will go get it! Glad Abby is doing well with it!

jennybee said...

If I ever have kids, you are so going to be my guru.

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

I'm so glad the book is working, Laura! Even though Grace has resolved to NOT follow it yet, he's had some helpful information in there about colicky babies- mainly that there's not really anything we can do, which is oddly reassuring.

background

counter